LED Xmas lights

Just occurred looking at these that they have a pretty constant light output in all directions - unlike most LEDs which have a lens focusing it in fairly narrow beam. So pretty similar to an ordinary filament lamp. There's a few occasions when I'd like LEDs like this, but haven't seen them on sale in the component suppliers. What should I be looking for?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

LED Xmas lights I guess :-) Seriously though - could a set of these things be cannibalized to yield what you want?

ps I bought a set of lights from B&? last year (filament I admit) but

1/3 of the lamps have already packed up.
Reply to
dave

Reply to
dennis

Reply to
Bovvered?

I bought a set in woolie's sale the other week and they're already dying.

But for 70p...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I bought some spare LEDs from Wooleys. They were 6p for a pack of several (somewhere between 6 and 10 - can't recall now). Tried them when I got home, and they're blue (at least, the first 2 were). Must admit, I did wonder why you'd want spare LEDs -- now I know.

I did once buy some axial LEDs which radiate in all directions except along the axis. They were from a radio fare. Never seen them since. I presume they were for making up light strings. (Axial LEDs which emit in one direction are easy to find.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

No - those are still far too directional. I want something with a light output pattern similar to a GLS lamp. Ie, all round with the exception of the cap.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes it can work., I filed one down past the lens once but the surface needs much polishing - noit worth the effort really.

Reply to
dave

The christmas ones seem to have a conical hole for a lens. If you can accurately drill into the end, you might be able to create the same effect.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

=A0 London SW

Generic name is "inverted cone" or in big LEDs "side emitting"

HTH Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

them on sale in the component suppliers.

Thanks for that. The ones I was looking at seem to have what looks like a sphere round the electrodes - then the whole lot encased in a transparent tube.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Flame polish them. It won't be optically perfect, but you explicitly don't want that...

...you can also do them tens or hundreds at a time.

Reply to
PCPaul