LED replacement fluorescent tubes?

Seen a few of these recently - LED tubes which are a direct replacement for fluorescent tubes. Manchester Airport terminal 1 arrivals carpark has been fitted out with them, and they seem to have started using them on the Merseyrail network.

They give a very good white light, and the directionality of the LEDs is offset by the use of diffusers.

comments?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Even with diffusers the light from LEDs is too directional and really hard on the eyes. The shadows are too sharp and glares are too bright. Maybe it's my age showing but I had LED lights over by workbench for three years and always found myself needing to add more light even though the LEDs were blindingly bright.

As it happens, the LED fixtures all burnt up (so much for 30,000 hrs life span) and after some 10-15 repairs I just gave up and replaced the LEDs with matching socket CFLs. I can now see what I'm working on even though when you just look at the work area, you would not say it's become brighter. It's just become easier to see things. Less glares and somehow easier to see small parts.

I think what might have helped a bit is if the manufacturer would rotate each row of LED slightly (just a couple degrees would do I think) to point them in as much of a spherical pattern as possible. I can see however that it would become a nightmare to manufacture such fixture - the robots that populate the boards aren't really designed to insert parts at different angles (and they're probably SMT anyhow).

So, yeah, after some early tries I'm still sitting on the fence regarding LED lighting. The fence is illuminated by CFLs at the moment :)

------------------------------------- /\_/\ ((@v@)) NIGHT ():::() OWL VV-VV

Reply to
DA

Reply to
dennis

£80 for a 4' tube FFS!
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No, that's just an available option. The standard voltage appeared to be

165-265.
Reply to
Tim Streater