LED outdoor lights

Hello,

CPC are selling a range of IP65 floodlights. I have a PIR that doesn't work (240v at the terminals and I have replaced the bulb but still nothing) so I was thinking of replacing it with one of these.

Has anyone bought one of these? What are they like?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
reply

Having recently put up a Chinese outdoor lamp (12V 10W), I'd rather go for a colour of around 3000 to 4000K than the 6400 claimed. Too, too blue. But very effective.

Reply to
polygonum

+1

I bought one of CPC's 20W ones. Then I was in Costco and they had a waterproof LED Duralight worklight on offer, and I got that thinking it might be useful (or probably, rather more out of curiosity).

The Duralight was rated 17.5 watts and lower light output, but a few quick tests showed it has light output is higher than the CPC one, and at 5000K rather than 6500K, it had a better colour temperature, and was also giving better colour rendering. It also has a much larger light source (of many smaller LEDs behind a diffuser) and was not as painful to the eyes. It was not claiming to be an outdoor lamp, but I opened it and found it to be very well sealed. The integral PSU might not have a long life (transformer was very small), but I've had one operating for a couple of months outside now, and it works very well.

The CPC one is still in the box. I may use it somewhere, but it isn't at the forefront of LED lighting technology. I might swap out the emitter for a better one.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The 10W ones are physically very small and don't really light up more than you'd need to put out the bins. 50W or more is in the ballpark of the kind of output you'd need to compete with a normal halogen and that's when it starts getting pricey. Otoh, if you are happy enough with lesser light (and your neighbours will be) then several 10W put up in a series will do the job.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Spec is for 800 odd lm or about the same as a 60 W GLS, so ample for not falling over or walking into things.

And the lower light level is better for security as well. Enough to illuminate any nerdowell but not enough such that they could stand in the deep dark shadow from a 150 W halogen 10' from you and not be seen.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I had a blue CFL outdoor light from them previously but it sounds like this will be worse. That's a shame because this is rated ip65 and I often find that outdoor lamps are not as waterproof as they claim.

Reply to
reply

Not looking to floodlight a football pitch; like someone said just to see where going to put bins out etc.

Reply to
reply

I have a 10W 12V LED waterproof lamp - loads on ebay - direct from China. Too blue (I'd guess 6500K - would much have preferred around

4000K) but otherwise all that we need. However, we do also have a string of outdoor LED "fairy" lights which are quite nice and extremely low wattage.

Will be getting another one or two 10W 12V LEDs because our bins are the wrong side of the fence. But I would much rather have a few low wattage lamps than one blinding big one.

Reply to
polygonum