LED lights outdoors?

The light fittings at the front and kitchen doors are due to be replaced soon. We're considering using LED lamps - is there any reason _not_ to use them in outdoor fittings?

Reply to
S Viemeister

Can be a good choice. They are often higher colour temperature (because it's more efficient), and the higher colour temperature doesn't matter outdoors. There is no warm-up time - they are instant-on at full brightness.

There are some crap ones about though.

What type of lights are you considering?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

For the front door -

For the kitchen door -

Recommendations for a reliable make, gratefully accepted!

Reply to
S Viemeister

That will probably work fine with an E27 LED retrofit.

That may not work as well, as most of the light from a retrofit LED will get lost inside the fitting.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

judging by the ratings, Ikea should be OK. Toolstation also has lamps at reasonable prices.

Reply to
PeterC

Theyre the logical choice now for low power lights.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Hmm.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I'll check them out.

Reply to
S Viemeister

The ikea fittings look a bit cheap and nasty compared with the ones you linked to but their led lamps look good.

As they have a clear one in their range I was able to see that the output of a ring of leds plays directly on a ring prism that spreads the light out into a more conventional spread than I expected from leds.

I think they would work well in the downward pointing fitting you linked to (particularly as they are E27 (ES) lamped too). If the lamp is on its side in the other bulkhead fitting then you may see some unevenness in the light pattern.

Shows the clear lamp with prism visible.

Shows the frosted version

Both of these are dimable and therefore relatively expensive but I assume the non dimable ones use the same prism technology and are a lot cheaper. They're certainly cheaper than the toolstation offerings.

Reply to
fred

Yes, perfect for luminaires containing several lower power bulbs. I have tw o wall fittings that are up/down lighters each containing 2 x 35W halogens

- I'll probably put LEDs in them next time they blow. The 60W incandescent equivalents (about 12W LEDs) are still very expensive. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Thanks, they do look much better than most I've seen. I'll see if I can persuade one of my cousins down south to pick up a couple for me.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Anything I've bought from LEDHut, LightRabbit or Aldidl is still working, unlike eht Chinese crap, which failure rate now stands at

90%.
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon