LED lighting

you really are dim aren't you.

How many times have I said we can't order from ebay ? Our finance department has banned us from ordering via ebay.

How many times do you need this explaining ?

They won't those (mostly) from china are crap even those that give warrenties of 50,000 hours.

We brought ours from farnell or rather onecall.

unlike you who uses ASDA for our electrical stuff.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Right. Just wondered where you got rubbish that failed so often? Why not buy decent makes?

Ah. Right.

Most would tend to buy that sort of thing from a decent local electrical wholesaler. But then I'd expect a uni to have a proper maintenance sparkie for such things. Not leave it to the unqulaified. Do the clerical staff change their tubes too?

If I bought your stuff I'd get decent makes which lasted.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What rubbish ones that fails so often, you're the one that keeps replacing bulbs and triacs not me.

you mean the two or three 35w halogen ones that have blown since 2006/7 I wouldnlt say they keep blowing.

I do, why don't you, I do not think ASDA make decent stuff. Their own made stuff is pretty crap well the food is. I've only been in asd a once thios year to buy toothbrush heads as they were on offer.

See even you can leanr stuff, it might take you longer.

We have to go through one of our approved sellers not a mate who owns or wo rks in a local shop down the road.

But i a shop can supply them cheaper and they are willing to wait to be pai d on account and up to 3 months late by the college then fine give me some suppliers and I'll forward on their details.

We do. But it isn't up to them to finance such a thing, they will replace blown floursecent tubes within a week or so of reporting them. Maintaince is what it is, not new installs which require a differnt route. When we had foil put up on the windows it was an extrenal company mainatinc e could'lt so it because it;s classed as a new install.

It's like employing a window cleaner to install double glazing it doesn't w ork like that. Of course a DIYer could do either.

No one is allowed to we must get maintaince in to do it, they also keep spa re tubes and that way it doesn;t come of the teaching budget.

farnell no longer stock the ones we tried I brought 4 for one office.

Rapid do them now.

I could order the 80 tubes needed but last I checked that came to £3k and our teachiogn credit card as a limit of £500 and a monthl;y cap o f £2000. I don't think the teaching budget would like that. It should come from the Green Mary which is a college run thing to push for savings on things like electricity .

I do both at home and at work which is why we don;t use ebay or ASDA althou gh asda might be OK fro branded products.

Reply to
whisky-dave

So you were lying when you said :-

'To save the college money and every, every month I don't have to report that a number of tubes are flickering or have now stopped working.'

Do I? But I'm not the one complaining about having to do it. Do you remember what you post from one minute to the next?

Thought you were talking about fluorescent fittings.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I DO NOT buy those tubes yuo idiot the college suppllies them from wherever it gets them. I have NO idea how long they last either having 80+ in the lab and 3 not working this week. Those loko a bit dim so could have been up there for 5 years or more.

Yes do you. Did you not say you replace triacs .?

FFS.

At home I had 10 halogens installed in two light fittings. since 2006/7 when I installed them up until last year I had 2 or 3 blow or should I just say stop working because ethey didnl;t explode or do anything exciting other than not work when switched on. I do NOT think even 3 in in 9 years is a lot.

In my lab typically anywhere from 3 to 6 fluorescent tubes (not fittings) go every year and replaced by maintanace, we do not have to pay for teh tubes it is a central resource unlike teaching money which is what I spend on stuff for compnent & tool purchases .

Even some things that I do buy ahve to be paid for from a differnt grant if it's for a reaserch projects. If/when I get a new computer for work at work it won't come from teaching money . When we get the windows boarded up that won't come from teaching money.

When the new buildings (like our graduate centre) go up that isn't from teaching money either.

Do yuo really think they'll come to me saying you canl;t order any stripboard as we've spent all the money on the new graduate centre. which is about 100 metres behind me.

and has LEDs on the roof garden which are alight with no one on the roof garden so they can afford LED lighting .

Reply to
whisky-dave

Fluros should be batch relamped, by time their dead enough to flicker they are down to nearly 50% of intial output. Rolling replacement of % every year But people think only dead lamp lamp is one with no light coming out.

Tend to be more carfeul with metal halides that if left long enough will remind you a lamp change is required with a bang.

The architects like LED lighting thats whats important not what the users need, suppliers didn`t stock PIRs... ;-)

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Depends what else is electric in the house. Chances are the kettle and a few domestic appliances like fridge, freezer represent the bulk of other power consumed plus a base load of typically 100W 24/7 for all the household kit on standby, central heating, alarm, doorbell, router.

Having an energy meter that displays usage in realtime will help cut down the amount of energy that gets wasted.

A fairly good strategy is replace lamps with LED units as and when they blow - that way you mostly replace the most heavily used ones first.

One limitation is if you need sets for chandeliers - they can look really odd with a mish-mash or random lamps in from different eras.

I suspect if we switched entirely to LED it would cut our electricity bill by about half. I got around 10% off just by finding and removing the worst offending standby kit using smart switches. Some old digital TVs have standby in the 20-30W range whereas recent ones are below 0.5W.

Some libraries will lend you a device to measure them accurately or you can buy a gadget from Maplins.

Reply to
Martin Brown

You don't buy them and have no idea how long they last but have decided they'd be best replaced by LED. Very logical.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That one always interests me. Do you or yours boil a kettle just for the fun of it? Run the clothes drier empty?

Most would have the sense not to leave lights etc on when not in use. If they do, would they pay any attention to an energy meter?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes I know all you need to do is look up at them to see the difernt light output they give but I can;t report that to maintaince that a few tubes are a bit dim can you replace them. Curently theres; 4 with just an orange glow at the end no useful light coming from them. that's 4 of about 80.

that'll wake the students up. :)

Yes they make a lot of money from useless lighting.

Reply to
whisky-dave

well not really, money saved is a real figure not a percentage.

I doubt that will change by changing lighting.

Yes I have one of those it is useful.

That's what I've been doing over the last 7 years or so. Especailly as LEDs have imporved over the years I didnlt see the need to ru sh out and buy LEDs 7 years ago they didnlt seem as good as advertises seem s to claim. Other than halgen spotlight there's wasn't many options. My original 100 w tungsen buld of the late 80s as replaxed by a set of 3 6

0W tungsten candle bulbs, then in 2006 by a 6 way unit with 6 35W bulbs. So every time I upgraded so do the amount of electricity used. Of course using a dimmer reduce consumption of lighting then LEDs even more so.

It's called artistic lighting :)

That would depend on what else yuo use surely.

I did notice that running out of teabags reduced my electricity useage quit e significantly.

Yes but is it a reason to buy a new TV it wasn;t for me. Bit when I was running a webcam 24/7 for 3+ months at a time I started to r ealise that my old G4 tower running at ~140w was a bit of a waste and that if I brough a new mac mini that does the same better and rund at about 5w i t;d take me about 2 years for it to be worthwhile for doing that along, so I did it.

I got one at home and one at work too. I wanted to prove that Green Mary wa sn't as green as they think they are. IT insist the computers are left on 2

4/7 while the labs only run from 9am to 6pm.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I assume they;ll last as long as the warrenty says they';ll last what was it LEDs 50,000 hours.?

So LEDs use more electricity than flourescent is that what you're saying ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

So what makes you think LEDs will be any better?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What was it indeed. All sorts of claims are made for LEDs. You'd need to find out exactly what warranty the actual ones you want provide.

You weren't talking about efficiency. Just life. Relative efficiency would depend on the type of florry fitting and the type of tube in use. And the type of LED used to replace them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You really are clueless aren't you. I put my oven on and I know when it;s up to teperature because it switches off and on all buy itself to maintaine the correct temperature. I can tell when it's ready by sittign in the lounge and donl;t have to stan d in the kitchem. It was most useful when my flatmate kept leaving the grill on. I can tell w hen any major electrical applience is on or off just by looking at the disp lay. It was also useful for proving to a friend that charging their iphone wasn' t costing a fortune, because they were tiold not to charge their phones at their clients house. I had a care working ringing at the doorbell because they couldn't get in downstairs as their phone had died and needed to call the office. I showed her that as I plugged in my charger to her phone that is wasnt; co sting as much as her employer had suggested.

How wpoudl you show someone a comparision between LEDs and any other sorce without a power meter ?

They would if you charged them everytime they 'forgot' to turn something li ke a grill or over off. People do turn off things that they know will cost them more have you not n oticed this sort of thing. Even car drivers tend to choose the cheaper places to fill up but why ? What use is a price per litre at petrol stations if you needd= 5 litres a week you buy it, why worry about the cost?

Why not put the oven on 1/2 hour before you need it ? Why not go out and leave the lights on if you're not being charged for doin g so ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

Because green mary are giving out rewards for saving money and one of teh things they suggest is changing to LED lighting, and there's grants for such things too. Why have they put LED lighting on the roof when there;s no one up there ?

I;'d like to ask them how it saves money.

Same as I'd like to ask how by sticking stickers on plugs makes an item electrically safe.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Are yuo saying those claims are flase ?

So what warrenty is on those with a 50,000 hour life.

I was and so is green mary.

Yes so why say LEDs are better ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

No. But in a typical house there are a handful of items with relatively high standby power which when eliminated cuts the 24/7 base load.

Saving 10W on base load translates to 90kWh/year which @ 12p/kWh = £11

Our previous TV was 25W on standby thanks to default settings that kept the digital decoder running all the time. A couple of other PC peripherals are in the region of 10-20W on standby - automatically switching them off when the PC is sleeping saves money.

You would be surprised how often the odd light gets left on. Much worse with teenagers in the house.

It is even more important in the Village Hall where before the realtime display it was not uncommon for the 6kW immersion heater, ovens and even electric space heating to be left on overnight by forgetful hirers.

Reply to
Martin Brown

That is roughly speaking the characteristic temperature of the suns surface. Although very near sunset things get a lot different with stronger red direct components and paradoxically a higher proportion of scattered UV relative to the falling light levels immediately after sunset so that some things appear to fluoresce as it gets darker.

Well yes, but since all LED domestic lighting is a PSU driving the LEDs the result is that they do not flicker. OK some really dire cheap crude Chinese ones might but nothing properly designed will.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Dave Plowman is just too thick to understand such things he doesn;t know t hat having a readout of power can give the inteligent a clue as to how to s ave money it won't work for him of course because he doesn;lt understand su ch things.

My timer on my emerion heater loses time of about 15 mins or more a year. Last year I noticed I was using 3.6Kw at 12:20am, because my timer was set to come on at 12:35am ~5 mins after E7 kicks in. So I went and switch it off and put the timer to the right time.

I'd like one here at work be interesting to see if it;s chepaer to have all the offices have a 2kw fan heater or whether it;d be better for tehm to fi x the heating.

Reply to
whisky-dave