LED lamps

As most of the white LEDs are actually blue LEDS with a phosphor, the colour depends on the phosphor, not on the supply current or voltage. The colour of the blue LED stays constant over the whole of its operating current range. The variation in colour between batches is due to variations in the phosphor mix.

Some use 3 coloured LEDS per light element, but if you look closely, you can see the three colours. These are more expensive, and are sometimes used for mood lighting, where the user wishes to vary the colour on demand. I use 'em for disco lighting, where you can definitely see the individual (High powered) LEDs.

Reply to
John Williamson

You can get fluorescent tube replacements up to six feet. They cost about =A310 per foot. You disconnect all the old tube starting gear.

harry

more light (more efficient) and a more pleasant white than the high voltage bulbs

ability to share the LED driver. Having one driver for lots of low voltage LEDs is probably more efficient than having one driver per LED.

yourself and tell me....

bulbs runs on low voltage just like the halogen 12v - both are more efficient and more pleasant than the high voltage counterparts just because these are low voltage (what about that?).

That's obviously rubbish. "just because these are low voltage" is meaningless when applied to the actual LED bit, which will have a fixed forward voltage at a given current regardless of the input to the driver.

It's entirely plausible that the particular 12V LED bulbs you tried were a better colour than the particular 240V ones you tried, but that doesn't mean they all are.

Reply to
Alan Braggins

Not IMHO. All the LED GU10's I bought failed prematurely (6 months -

2 years) making them more expensive than halogens.
Reply to
Mark

Reply to
John Rumm

y happy so far.

gives more light (more efficient) and a more pleasant white than the high v= oltage bulbs

LEDs ability to share the LED driver. Having one driver for lots of low vol= tage LEDs is probably more efficient than having one driver per LED.

by yourself and tell me....

2v led bulbs runs on low voltage just like the halogen 12v - both are more = efficient and more pleasant than the high voltage counterparts just because= these are low voltage (what about that?).

Not just colour...these emit more light too (very important). All the 240v I've tried so far can't compare in both colour and amount of l= ight emitted (watt per watt): I've bought led lamps since last year, experi= menting with different models and types: bayonet and screw type cylindrical= shape with lots of leds, Powaled cluster leds (about 30?) with plastic cas= ing, led strips too...then more recently I bought several led bulbs for dow= nlighters GU10 3w, GU10 RGB(colour changing) and MR16 3w and also MR16 4w.

Now, I understand that many who bought the GU10 come with comments like "ru= bbish" or use technical data or similar...since recently, I myself have bou= ght high voltage led bulbs for practical reasons.=20 Bottom end of my personal experience leave me no doubts: the 3w cool white = MR16 are the best I've tried so far - better colour and more efficient than= the rest...second best are (hear hear) the MR16 4w warm white - so the onl= y 2 batches of MR16 I've ever tried so far beat all of the 240v in my arsen= al. The only 240v I've tested which is comparable to the 3w cool white MR16 are= these 4w Powaled I'm using for my table lamp - it uses a plastic casing to= give a warm white light which is pleasant enough - still, the 3w MR16 give= s more light =3D more efficient that the 4w Powaled.

Reply to
swimmydeepo

another important distinction I've found: Cool white on 240v bulbs is more bluish than in the Cool white found on MR16...while the Warm white tested on 240v is comparable the the Cool White of

12v led bulbs... Finally, the Warm white of MR16 is definitely warmer than the Warm White found on the 240v bulbs. Now, it seems that with 240v bulbs the tone is just a bit colder and in general there might be a problem of inconsistency in the way led bulbs are being marketed.

Again....this my own personal waffle - so take it for what it is - just subjective experience from a common user who's not that interested in techy-mumbo-jumbo.

Reply to
swimmydeepo

MR16...while the Warm white tested on 240v is comparable the the Cool White of

12v led bulbs...

on the 240v bulbs.

there might be a problem of inconsistency in the way led bulbs are being marketed.

subjective experience from a common user who's not that interested in techy-mumbo-jumbo.

Perhaps the sample size, from which these conclusions were drawn, would be significant information.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

MR16...while the Warm white tested on 240v is comparable the the Cool White of

12v led bulbs...

on the 240v bulbs.

general there might be a problem of inconsistency in the way led bulbs are being marketed.

subjective experience from a common user who's not that interested in techy-mumbo-jumbo.

one mans or companies cool white may not necessarily be another, especially with anything coming from China,

How about some suppliers and part numbers?

to give a little objectivity to go with your subjective experience

Reply to
David

MR16...while the Warm white tested on 240v is comparable the the Cool Whit= e of 12v led bulbs...

e found on the 240v bulbs.

general there might be a problem of inconsistency in the way led bulbs are= being marketed.

subjective experience from a common user who's not that interested in tech= y-mumbo-jumbo.

LOL, Where on earth do you find LED bulbs (and a lot more) if not from Chin= a? We are doomed my friend, we'd better to learn Mandarin soon or being per= manetly lost in translations (hence labelling problems). At least I gave some brand names (my critics didn't) - and in fairness, the= se products are evolving quickly and it's encouraging to see that all the l= atest models outperformed the earlier. Anyhow, the MR16 3w are from CREE like the 3w GU10...the 4w MR16 are packag= ed in a green box named "LED" (very imaginative these orientals)...then the= re is another GU10 named "LED" but different packaging style....the cactus = like cylinder shaped with 168 leds and screw attachment has no name (so can= 't be shamed openly cos' its pretty horrible - one of the prehistoric sampl= es). The colour changing one is the new GU10 model offering 4w and 2 million col= ours!!! It's good fun but still I can't find a better white than the MR16 3= w(nor the power - and it's 4w). BTW, the only glitch with the MR16 3w installed in my bathroom is that the = colour is a bit uneven - but to be honest this is very subtle and it took m= e a couple of days to notice....the transformer is the cheapest 18w I've fo= und (less than =A35) and feeding all 4 bulbs (in total 12w) I've read very = bad reviews on cheap transformers (so far so good though). Right now I'm tempted to try the 4w warm white just to see if the colour un= iformity is improved (still I prefer that cool white in my bathroom).

Reply to
swimmydeepo

Makers and models would suggest that they had parts numbers, or boxes!

My variety pack stuff (mostly corncobs) has come from Abeyerr @eBay and the best price on 60 round top LED GU10s from ihome-come @ eBay, who claims to be shipping from the UK (and they certainly arrived quickly).

Reply to
Andy Dingley