Led kits for pseudo alarm boxes.

My original alarm supplier having been taken over, the new owner has arranged to have the sounder box changed to their own style.

This has left me with a box already having lamp windows ready to imitate a live set up.

Can anyone kindly point me to a supplier of kits to adapt 240V ac to a supply suitable for two white leds imitating the original under run strobes?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

JFGI - "alarm dummy light"

Plenty of options though might not take mains directly but a suitable wall wart wouldn't be expensive. Or the battery powered modules run from C cells, last for years.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

meaning 1W+ LEDs.

`little` LEDs , your typical 5mm across LED are usually assumed to want 20mA and its common to just use constant voltage and a resistor.

an old phone charger would do, no resitor required below 6V, phone chatrgers tyically 4.5v - 5V D.C.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

They're happy with a controlled current, i.e., don't just connect them across the terminals of a battery. No need for constant current for this kind of application.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Left over Christmas lights? Very cheap now...

David

Reply to
David P

Yes.

What are you doing in here?

I have 3 unused mobile phone chargers. Google has found me a kit with a choice of led colours, Dave. I can steal a supply from the PIR floodlight. So all I need now is the tuits!

I am not sure how important it is to exactly mimic the real thing. The original displayed two, permanently on, filaments. The replacement has two leds, flashing alternately.... Are burglars that clued up on 10 year old kit?

regards and thanks to all.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

There are burglars and there are good burglars.

Most burglars ignore a house that they think is alarmed.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I think mostly even the 10 year old boxes have flashing red/green wigwags, the newer replacements are probably all blue LEDs

Reply to
Andy Burns

In article , Tim Lamb writes

The only neg with using a phone charger is that the kits will probably be spec'd for 12V dc (alarm supply) so a cheap 12V plugtop supply might suit better. That said, if your existing feed is already outside then an inline supply in a box might suit better.

When I have done this, the supply was indoors and I put a 13A unswitched socket at high level on the other side of the wall from bellbox with a plugtop supply plugged into that and LV wiring through the wall. 13A socket was fed from an FCU with a 3A fuse. I've also done it with plugtop supply in a standard low level socket on the mains with LV wiring going up the wall before going out to the bellbox but I viewed that as a messy install.

I would be inclined to mimic the style on the new box. Flashing red and green appears popular at the mo so I would go with that. Most flashers have poxy low current leds, I have increased the current by reducing the (obvious) dropper resistors and have swapped leds to brighter ones I had in stock. Last one I used was from CPC for about a fiver, not great value (wrong led colours + poor brightness) but I had an order in progress with them.

Reply to
fred

I lurk on here now. UKBA is/has got very tedious.

Here has a far greater volume but I can skim a lot of it rather than having to read the meaty posts of yore in UKBA

Our more than 10 yr old box has got alternating red lights so I don't think age has much to do with it - just depends on which box you happen to have.

David

Reply to
David P

Yes. Amazing how one persistent troll can eventually destroy a newsgroup.

Andrew is here and Mary pops up occasionally. I find it a hugely useful resource. Mind, I must go back and discover how Steve is getting on with his GSHP now the cold weather is arriving.

I'm aiming for twin red, permanently on. Which is as it was.

Hope the family and your camper van are well.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Can you get a wire from your alarm control box or a PIR sensor in the house to your dummy box? IF you can, you can take a 12V supply from there and know that it is permanently powered without any faffing around with wall-warts or the like.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Not easily. I don't have the engineers codes for the house alarm and the

*protection* is for a separate workshop.

I think the wall wart will do until I get round to installing a proper alarm.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I saw you had posted. He has now had a very cold winter (last year) and a more moderate one this so he should have some good data by now. We keep toying with the idea of going GS but am still not convinced by its efficiency in actual performance and we'd also have to sort out the under floors as we are on suspended joists with a large void below.

Indeed we are - though the van is now getting elderly and could warrant a retirement change in the next few years! Your family seem to be enjoying life.

David

Reply to
David P