LED in Dimmer

What would happen if I mixed up some LED GU10s and accidentally used a non- dimmable lamp in a fitting with a dimmer?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

One or both of the lamp and the dimmer will suffer damage probably by overheating after a while. The dimmer is trying to limit the power and the solid state lamp is trying to obtain constant power and they will fight LED increasing current draw to try and counteract the dimmer.

The weakest link in the chain will fail. It might even catch fire if you are really out of luck. You also have to be careful that dimmable LED units satisfy the *minimum* load requirements of any dimmer used.

I wish the bulbs were more clearly marked.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I had this situation, and a capacitor in the lamp bulged, and stopped the lamp working, the dimmer didn't seem to care particularly (none of the remote control touch dimmers)

Reply to
Toby

Martin Brown wrote in news:Uqvau.15682$ snipped-for-privacy@fx11.am:

I have had the problem of LEDs not reaching the minimum load for a touch dimmer. Perhaps a standard colour code is needed for the base of dimmable v non- dimmable LEDs.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Some might take a dim view of the outcome. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Which many clients don't do these days anyhow. Bit like quotes that um, dont.. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Mains LEDs use an RC power supply. A chopped sine wave causes a massive increase in heat dissipation in the R, which will fry itself & die.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Which is why I indelibly mark each one 'dim' or 'non-dim', but by default any unmarked ones are treated as non-dim in the future, just in case it's been missed out.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon