LED domestic lighting

Page 4 of 4
Mary Fisher wrote:

Mary: I agree. I don't think I can even speleologically spell that anyway! Terry.

are
in
It's T H A T, Terry ...
Mary

Our local Denmans are advertising LED GU10 lamps now, 240 volts, "Very Long Life". The cost 8.50 each though which is a bit pricey.

Yes, a surprising range for what is an infant industry. The price variability is impressive, from around 5 to over 100 for an MR16 12 volt halogen replacement. The price is no guide to the quality or output illumination, with the cheaptest units being 24 LED clusters sold by an American company and the most expensive being 48 LED clusters sold by another US company (the latter beign quoted as "incandescent white"). In Australia it's possibel to buy DIY lightbulb kits consisting of the base to which you must add the LEDs yourself.
Try a Google search on [ LED white replacement MR16] or [ LED white replacement GU10 ] for more details. The power consumption is about 2-5 watts per bulb and the light output appears to be equivalent to a 20W incandescent. The makers quote 50,000 hours life, but a recent R4 news item mentioned that 150,000 hours is more typical for an LED.
--
A nasty looking dwarf throws a knife at you.

<snip>
OK, will do. This has become more of a quest for the Holy Grail than a simple curiosity!

I thought I heard 25,000 but that would probably see me out!
Mary

No problem, I'll catch it in my teeth.
On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 21:07:46 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

I'd pay to see that! ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Wotchoo doing next weekend?
Mary

<sob>
Might there be something produced in the next few years which might even last only, say, twenty years? That would do me :-)
And that was a rhetorical question, a merry quip ...
Mary

Already exists -- Philips QL lamp (electrode-less compact fluorescent). AFAIK, not available to the public because they are expensive and the long life depends on specially designed fittings. Used for the back- lighting of Big Ben's clock faces, amongst other things.

Well, it had an answer...
--
Andrew Gabriel

Huge wrote:

AOL. That statement implies MF does not think it necessary. Maybe she does not think it's even a good idea!
!!!!!!!!!

Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com
Today's edition of the same programme brought lots of responses about this matter.
The consensus was about the same as this ng's - but nothing like as full nor as interesting.
Thanks, guys!
Mary