LED Deck lights

How does one compare the light output of an LED light to a normal bulb?

I'm looking at installing some recessed deck lights & TLC have them is 0.3w,

0.6w etc - which doesn't sound very bright to me.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Its not.. you could go to B&Q where they have them on display and look.

I have a ~1W led in a torch and it is OK but nowhere near as bright at a two D cell maglite.

Reply to
dennis

You are considering power input. Look up the light output data measured in candela or lumens. Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Alas they only list the wattage - hence the question.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The results are very subjective. From each LED in the cluster the beam is quite narrow, it gets scattered a bit in the plastic bezel, but then in a multi LED array the LEDs are usually set to diverge from each other.

They are very good at making glass ornaments sparkle in a display case. Not much good at lighting up 8 metres of pathway at the side or front of the house.

Poss OK for instance if used to mark out a "Flare Path" between 2 sets of steps on a deck.

IOW they are OK if their intended function function is to be there lit, they are not really man enough at this stage to illuminate something else.

HTH

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

By comparing the light output - lumens is a common unit. Lumens give the actual light output but don't take into account light spread. The related measure of lux gives lumens/unit area.

Given the input, and bulb type, you can make a rough guess at the lumens output. Incandescents are around 10-18 lumens/watt, Fluorescent start at about 60 lumens/watt, but much higher for better quality tubes. Older LEDS are 20-40 lumens/watt. Modern high-flux LEDS are around 80 lumens/watt, and increasing monthly.

No lumen outputs listed for those that I can see, but 0.5W is on the low side. Even with a very good LEDs (e.g., a Seoul P4) this would be only 30 lumens. TLC lights won't use such good LEDs though, s you might get 10 lumens? For comparison, a 60W incandescent is about 700 lumens.

dan.

Reply to
dwtowner

In my /humble/ opinion lighting up the garden with lots of bright lights is very 'townie/groundforce/makeover' styleee, subtle lighting is *far* better.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C