LED car lights - repair

Andrew Gabriel explained :

Impossible, how can he be in two places at once? He always follows me around.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Thanks. My meter shows an infinite resistance one way and 17 M ohms the other. My IDM 99 II meter does not have a specific diode function, though it appears the IDM 99 III does.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Dead CFL ligtbulbs are a good source of diodes and other components.

You can't test a diode on a digital multimeter on the normal resistance ranges, like you can on an old moving coil meter.

Use the current (mA range, a 9v battery and current limiting resistor say 10K ohm and diode under test, all in series.

Reply to
Graham.

It might not be using a high enough voltage to forward bias the diode, so this by itself doesn't indicate a fault. Measuring the voltage drop across the diode when the light is on would be more useful (should be somewhere between 0.5V and 1V).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

If you rig up a battery and bulb - taking less than 1 amp - and insert the diode in series with them, the bulb should light with the diode connected one way, but not the other. However, if it's easy to remove just fit a new one - they're only pennies. And ask for a decent DVM for Xmas. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How you open them up?

Reply to
Adam Funk

Rotary tool, Dremel style, and an abrasive disk might be the best way.

Reply to
Windmill

I thought of that ;-) but was wondering if there might be a "secret handshake" that pops them open neatly.

Reply to
Adam Funk