LED bulbs

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 12:00:17 +0100 someone who may be "Simon Finnigan" wrote this:-

Leaving aside bulbs, ISTM that these could usefully be divided into three groups.

Firstly, the one in the middle of the room and the one over the toilet. Controlled from the existing switch.

Secondly, the one over the shower, controlled by a local switch.

Thirdly, the two over the mirror, controlled by a local switch.

However, the main problem is the poor design of the installation and new lamps and switches will only do so much to resolve that.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 10:54:55 +0100 someone who may be Mark wrote this:-

The fluorescent ones are the same diameter, but tend to be longer and so will stick out of the bottom of some fittings. It may not be possible to put the glass cover of some fittings back on. The dimensions are given on that site for people to check.

The LED ones tend to be a similar length to the "standard" halogen version.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 10:42:34 +0100 someone who may be DM wrote this:-

In first cost. However, over the life cycle they are cheap.

I have certainly seen LED lamps with a bluish tone. However, these things improve all the time.

It is not necessary to put the same type of bulb in every fitting.

Reply to
David Hansen

I'd change the g/f might be cheaper in the long run too ;-)

I've not found them to be able to replace other bulbs as yet they just aren't as bright. Depending on the fitting why not just by one and try it out. Although you might be better off just reduces the 50W to 35W then 20W until you get used to less light.

Reply to
whisky-dave

No comment :-) I`m also looking for spotlight bulbs to replace the ones in the bed room, kitchen and back room - 3 or 4 50 watt bulbs, but the overall effect is what we like. I`m just hoping that a decent, much lower energy alternative will come along soon :-)

Then again, when the idiot g/f (I say that, but I do love her :-) ) leaves the outside floodlights on overnight it does defeat the object of trying to cut down the elctricvity bill. 3 x 500W spotlights. Fantastic for parties but not really designed to be left on all night for no good reason. ;-)

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

This time next year she`ll be a qualified solicitor, so although it might be the cheaper option now, long term it`ll mean a lot less spending money :-)

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

Don't you know where the off switch is?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I do, but not much use when i`m working nights 30 miles from the house :-)

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

=2E Simon: Seems rather minor? Five bulbs at 50 watts each =3D 250 watts. Even if your electrcity costs twice as much as ours! Each hour will only cost 250/1000 x 20 cents (Canadian) =3D 5 cents. That's roughly 3 New Pence or less. Per hour. Hardly a major issue???????????????? PS. If she IS spending lots of time in the B.Room and you have to talk about it; then 'you' may have an issue!

Reply to
terry

Oh by the way if in the winter time you need heat in the house (depending what part of the world you are) much of that 250 watts (due to the inefficiency of light bulbs in producing light) will help to heat the bathroom and the house! We have six 40 watt (240 watts) bulbs in our bathroom above the vanity. As a result the electric baseboard heater in that room is rarely needed!

Reply to
terry

Simon Finnigan wrote in

If g/f is having parties whilst you're working nights 30 miles away, the lights may not be the most urgent problem on your list ;)

Reply to
PeterMcC

Well if that happens with any freqency that is why you have a big bill not the 2hrs the girl friend spends in the bathroom, unless she is spending a long time under the electric shower.

3 x 500W = 1.5 units/hr say from 2100 to 0700, 10 hrs = 15 units. Our average daily use is only 20 units with someone home every day and cooking via electric.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

:-)

It`s more when the dog is being a bugger and refusing to come in at night, she puts the light on so she can see him (one of the problems of having a dark dog!). Then she occasionally forgets to turn them off again. She`s OCD about locking the front door, but not about leaving lights on :-)

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

It`s not that often, but a few times over the winter doesn`t help :-)

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

The trouble with PIRs is they see hot *moving* objects. So if you lie in the bath soaking (or any other activity in the bathroom where you don't move much :P ) you'll be plunged into darkness.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

very roughly 10 pence per unit, so about 3p per hour yes. But if the bulbs need replacing anyway why not try and find a more efficient way to do it? I work shifts which means having showers etc at all times of the day and night, so the lights are used more than would perhaps be the case in someone elses house.

Plus with energy prices on the way up, 3pence an hour now soon becomes 10 pence per hour and more, and it does soon add up. If there`s an acceptable solution now that reduces the power drawn why not take advantage?

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

Either a momentary timeswitch for the lights, or a hi-vis vest for the dog...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

which could be quite relaxing.

Adding a flow switch would bring the lights back on when you turn the tap on with your toes to top up the hot.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

you can replace the 500w bulbs with 300w or 150w

For the bathroom, I'd stick to filament lighting. CFL doesnt have comparable CRI, and LEDs are distant trailers in performance terms.

Maybe keep the mirror ones at 50w but drop the power elsewhere to 35w or even 20w. I forget if youre using 12v or 240, but 12v gives better efficiency. Also the shorter the rated lamp life the higher its energy efficiency, for all types of halogen.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 10:48:23 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be terry wrote this:-

A common assertion. However, most of the heat will heat the loft in a typical house.

Reply to
David Hansen