Leather sofa - extra cash for treatment?

Hi all,

We're about to order a leather sofa from Sofa Workshop. They have suggested we pay an extra £165 for some kind of 'leather protection plan' which as I understand it involves some kind of chemical treatment at the factory and a guarantee.

Has anyone had this done (either here or at another supplier) and is it worth the money? The sofa is not cheap so we're hoping it will last a good many years....

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Our leather 3 piece is 19 years old and looks fine. We never had it treated with anything.

Reply to
Huge

I didn't bother myself. Quality leather lasts so much longer than fabric, anyway.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Sounds like it might be a combination of a Scotchguard-like treatment and an all-risks guarantee (the two not necessarily being linked together). I think I may have paid £100 on mine - not usually easily persuaded by these things but with the suite being a light colour and fairly fine leather decided it probably wasn't a bad buy in case one of the kids managed to do some serious damage. The cleaning instructions on mine suggest just a mild solution of pure soap flakes and *no* hide or leather food or the like - perhaps this is related to the treatment (which should be done during tanning, not after, iirc.)

Reply to
John Laird

I think John sums it well for you here.

If you have a quality hide [not thin Italian leather as used in fashion suites], in a sensible colour, then there is no reason why it should not last your lifetime and more. The most likely failure will be if you have foam padding inside the seats. With a quality build even this can be easily replaced when the time comes. We had our suite made to order in oak framed, norwegian hides in a mid-tan. It needed no treatments. Wax the wood once a year. Clean the leather as required using the same cleaner as we use for the leather car seats.

Alice

Reply to
aliceNOTking27