Leather glue

Been fixing some splits on leather seats using a kit. Basically, you glue a fabric patch across the back of the split, and then fill the crack on the surface.

The supplied glue looks and smells like ordinary PVA wood adhesive - but top ups from the kit supplier suggests it's some rare exotic by the cost. About 5 quid for a tiny bottle. Which isn't even full.

What is it likely to be?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Copydex?

Reply to
Bob Eager

No - that's sort of rubber based, and not very strong. This stuff grips very well when set. But takes quite a time to do so. It's water solvent before it sets.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

PVA dries stiff, but repeated flexing sees it soften fine. I wouldnt be surprised if it worked ok on leather. Its no use for gapfilling though.

PU is stronger and almost certainly too stiff, but might work if you only used a miniscule amount.

I bet rubber resin glue would work. Its a bit whiffy while wet, but tough and flexible once set. Used with carpets.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

When I was in the middle of visiting several customers in London a few years back, a piece of leather became detached from my shoe, flapping around and looking distinctly tramp-like. Rushed in to a newsagent and bought a tube of superglue, which I never seriously expected to work, but thought it might hold out for the day, regluing if necessary. It's still fine, and hasn't needed reglueing in the intervening years.

Well, superglue was originally designed for glueing skin, and that's what leather is.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I was thinking the same thing, but its probably a pure example of it. Its been my finding that said copydex varies in its quality wildly. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes. But the thing is with this repair kit is you glue a cloth patch over the back of the split then fill the crack with the supplied filler. Which judging by the shrinkage is PVA based too. Takes several applications to get a decent result.

If you used superglue, the filler might not stick to that.

I did a test yesterday, and glued some of the repair fabric to a random part of the leather back using ordinary PVA wood glue. And I can't see any difference in the end result between that and the supplied stuff, after leaving it overnight to set fully.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So does/is Copydex in my experience.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

If I remember Copydex, it sets to a rubbery sort of thing on your fingers. This adhesive doesn't.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)