Leaky Toilet

Fellow d-i-y'ers. It has been a loooong time since I have visited but now I have a small problem.

'er indoors felt the need for a new en-suite - so yay and verily it was so.

Everything has been going smoothly (or as smoothly as removing and fitting a new en-suite can go) but after fitting the new toilet, I seem to have a small leak from the waste pipe.

Now I could go pulling it apart etc, but if any of you chaps had any sage advice about fitting toilets - and in particular ensuring that the watse is well and truly sealed - I would be most grateful.

Al.

Reply to
Allan

I assume by waste pipe you mean the large 4in pipe that exits the bottom rear of the toilet? Can't think of anything else but I thought I'd check.

If you used the old waste pipe fitting with the rubber rings to make the connection to the new toilet then that'll be the problem area. Buy next waste connections with new rubber seals and that should cure the problem.

You will need to remove the toilet to fit these of course. Not my favourite job but YMMV.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew McKay

I've used Plumber's Mait quite successfully for that job. It's worth a try otherwise you'll probably have to replace the pan coupler.

Reply to
Richard Porter

Get a gun and some sanitary silicone.

Empty bowl as far as possible.

Get her to shit and pee somewhere else for 6 hours.

Inject the stuff into any place it will go (around the waste joint of the toilet that is..)

Clean up with white spirits and a shitload of bogroll. (the toilet, that is).

Took about 3 goes to seal every little chink in mine, but its rock solid now (the toilet, that is).

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So, after buying new waste fitting and applying a handful of plumbers mait the exit from the pan is now sealed.....only for me to discover that the leak is in fact coming from the flush (entry) pipe! I could of course go down the plumbers mait route again but if I could avoid it I would. Any suggestions.

Al.

Reply to
Allan

I must admit, I thought it odd. I never had any problem with the soil outlet, but definitely did have issues with the flush pipe. In the end, I think I stuffed the hole full of silicon before jamming the flush pipe "cork" in. It worked very well and I never had leaks.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Me too. Everything leaked. Stuff it all with silicone.

Natures instant perfect fit gasket....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ahh,

Thanks for the replies folks, I went with the stuff every orifice full of sanitary silicone and everything now appears dry.

Amazing how I can't help feeling behind the loo every time I go in the room now though ;o) I'm sure the urge will pass with time.

Al.

Reply to
Allan