Leaky rad (chromed towel one)

Noticed a small brown patch of liquid in the cloakroom yesterday, just underneath the inlet side of the towel radiator, which is one of those laddered chrome types).

Further inspection reveals what I presume is a faulty weld, on the 3rd cross pipe, where it's welded into the upright box section.

1) For now, I have closed both valves (counting the lockshield turns). Is this enough to prevent the whole system emptying (over time) ?

2) Presumably the only sensible fix is to replace the rad ? No reliable repair available ?

3) Given the amount of welding involved in these rads, compared to a traditional one, is this fault much more likely in any event ?

Cheers all.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

You might find that plumbers repair epoxy putty would work, but would probably be unsightly. Certainly not worth rewelding and rechroming unless it is very unusual.

Reply to
newshound

Not in my experience. Modern radiators are so thin they are more likely to corrode through nowadays. I think you were unlucky. I've never had a chromed towel rail fail, although I've never bought one of the expensive designer types, so I can't comment on those.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Well, to be fair it's the one point I would expect it to fail - the weld.

With the rad completely isolated, could I remove the top plug, siphon out the water, and just forget about it (for now) ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Yes you can drain the rad with no problems.

It would be easier to slacken the union nut that goes into the rad from the valve with a container under it and drain it that way. Far easier than trying to syphon the water.

When you get round to replacing the rad dont forget to check for corrosion inhibitor as it seems your system may be lacking in this.

Heliotrope Smith

Even easier to use a wet/dry vacuum & suck the water out.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Changed 2 years ago ... and 4 before that, and 4 before that when the system was commissioned

:(

Reply to
Jethro_uk