Leaky boiler

My boiler seems to be leaking from the heat exchanger.

Is replacement within the DIY capability - no areas of gas control are involved in the job as far as I can tell.

Ta Richard

Reply to
rjs

Very probably, see if you can source the part on the web first, assuming it is the heat exchanger that is corroded, and not just a loose nut. You will need to drain the primary loop first, as water will gush out when you remove the exchanger, and fill it back up + corrosion inhibitor when finished.

Eyeball the job before you start, make sure you know what needs to be done, make the boiler safe i.e. switch off the electricity supply to it if it uses one etc.

If you give the details of your boiler someone might be able to offer more specific info.

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

Thanks Andy.

It's a Potterton Suprima 100. I did post this info in another thread a few hours before this one and wondered if the 'P' word had put potential respondents off!

Looking at the unit and the installation/service instructions it seems that *all* I have to do is remove; fan then burner then heat exchanger. Then reverse the process. The gas control system is located away from the area to be disturbed and is not touched.

I have found the heat exchanger at HRPC for £230 ish plus VAT.

I wonder if the leak would account for the steady but gradual drop in pressure in the 5 years that the unit has been installed? I can't believe so because I have topped up the system (via the pressure vessel) with enough water, so it seems, to flood the room containing the boiler. The only evidence of the leak is a very small pool in the bottom of the case and a few drops outside. Any thoughts on this? There are no ominous damp patches on ceilings anywhere in the house.

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
rjs

It's surprising how much water can leak from a fitting without making a flood, this especially so in a boiler where there is extra heat and ventilation to dry up any puddles.

IIRC the heat exchangers on Suprimas are Cast Iron and they are _heavy_.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I would ditch the Sprima, poor boilers, and get a good condensing boiler.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Is it a one piece heat exchanger, or sections like Potterton used in some models? I can't imagine a one piece type actually rusting through unless badly abused, so perhaps it's gasket failure?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks Ed, Dave

Yes, the heat exchanger is (apparently) a one piece cast iron item. The thought of struggling that out and in of the enclosure has given me pause for thought.

Having stared at the exchanger and gingerlly slid fingers around it I can say that the third lobe (suitable name?) from the front is wet along the bottom edge. There (appear) to be no leaks from the inlet and outlet connections.

Any other checks before I splash the cash?

The possible source of abuse is the fact that the installer did not see the need for inhibitor and I was stupid enough to go with his x years of plumbing experience (and he's a CORGI bod).

TIA

Richard

Reply to
rjs

The presence or lack of inhibitor in a cast iron heat exchanger is not likely to have caused the problem. On the other hand any casting has a potential for an imperfection which may reveal itself quite some time later. I had an Ideal Classic which suffered a holed heat exchanger last year, after three years running perfectly. Even though out of guarantee Ideal were quite happy to provide a replacement, together with refractories, seals etc. at no cost pending examination. They also agreed a standard replacement labour charge of £150 to cover the job. A few weeks after the leaking unit was returned to them they advised the failure to have been a blow hole in the casting which had been plugged with casting sand until lately and confirmed they would stand the costs. I assume any presence of scale within the unit would have resulted in a different answer as would signs of running "dry" (and I had flushed with X400 then used Sentinel X100 inhibitor)

Depending on how old your unit is and the mood of the manufacturer you may have some redress?

Reply to
John

Hi John

Potterton wouldn't even consider the possibility that their parts could be faulty - Them: '1 year guarantee sir, can I transfer you to our service dept' Me: 'click brrrrrrrrr'

After my Kickspace heater, having the narrowest pipework in the system, stopped heating during winter 2003/4 I flushed the CH system twice and extracted about two egg cups full of rusty particles (some quite large), I then added X400 with a large dose of prayer.

I might send the duff unit to them when I have replaced it.

Richard

Reply to
rjs

Sorry, should read X100 (or whatever Fernox inhibitor I used)

Richard

Reply to
rjs

Any item "should" have a reasonable life expectancy and a civil action in small claims court might just crystallise their thoughts.

I'd send them photos but retain possession for future evidence

Reply to
John

Yep. It took SWMBO nearly 2 years to recover a full refund from Peugeot when she rejected her *new* 309 that would only start if she parked it on a slope that was steep enough for her to bump start it! They initially offered to extend her warranty!!!!!

Good idea

Richard

Reply to
rjs