Leaking valve/washerr :(

On the water supply to my toilet cistern there's a 15mm ballofix type = isolating valve. One side is a 15mm compression fitting, which goes onto = the copper pipe. The other is a 1/2" female screw fitting, which screws = onto the threaded connection to the cistern ball valve, like the one in = this pic...

is its started leaking from 1/2" threaded end, where it connects = onto the ball valve fitting.

I replaced the fibre washer, it still leaks. Tried putting thread tape = around the threads on the ball valve fitting, it STILL leaks.

Also, it seems to leak worse when its done up tight than when its slack.

May seem like a simplistic question, but how the hell do I cure this? = The two things I thought would remedy this haven't worked. Am I doing = somethign wrong? Should I just slap "Plumbers mait" compound all over = the joint and hope for the best?

TIA

--=20 Best Wishes Simon (aka Dark Angel) Dark Angel's Realm of Horror -

Simon (Dark Angel)

If thats plastic it highly likely its cross threaded

All points to cross threading. When I fit new ball valves I hand tighten the tap connector, then do up the nut that holds the ball valve into the cistern.

Might have to replace it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

"Simon \(Dark Angel\)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

A) Check and check again that the threads have not crossed.

B) Ckeck that the leak is not in fact coming form the cistern to float valve union above it.

C) Plumbers Mait will not cure the problem but there may be other leak sealers available that could do the job.

D) Check the the threads have not crossed.

Heliotrope Smith

or possibly cracked.

Reply to
<me9

Definately not cross threaded, the leak is definately coming from the = joint and not the union above.

--=20 Best Wishes Simon (aka Dark Angel) Dark Angel's Realm of Horror -

Simon (Dark Angel)

FUBAR.

Change it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in = message...

The service valve or the plastic ball valve connection?

--=20 Best Wishes Simon (aka Dark Angel) Dark Angel's Realm of Horror -

Simon (Dark Angel)

The plastic ball valve.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

"Simon (Dark Angel)" wrote

[...]

If the face that's supposed to mate against the washer is damaged or cruddy, this might explain things. BUT As others have mentioned, the fact that it gets worse as you tighten the joint can also indicate that the plastic threaded part of your inlet valve may have cracked. This is all the more likely if there is strain on the copper piping that connects to the inlet.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

The toilet at my daughter's had a similar problem. The last bit of the threaded plastic pipe had cracked. Plumber cut it back to good plastic, fitted a new washer, and the leak was cured. [Just managed to save enough pipe to be able to refit the female connector.]

If there is no obvious cracking then replacement may be a good idea.

Most continental cisterns I have seen have a flexible connector for the last bit of the pipe run. This seems a good idea to me as it must reduce the stress on the ball valve connector. Obviously the 'stiff' pipe must be clipped just before the flexible pipe run starts.

I often wonder why the 'continentals' do this and the Brits in general do not.

HTH

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

This Brit does as a matter of course. I think you are spot on.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in = message...

Done and done.

No more leaks I'm pleased to say, thanks for everyones help!