Leaking sink waste connection ?

I have just fitted a new sink in my cloakroom which has one of these click/clack waste fittings, with the overflow running into the slotted waste fitting The plug fitting drops through the hole in the sink, with a plastic washer between the plug and sink, with another plastic washer/seal that fits under the sink with a large nut to tighten the plug to sink joint. My problem is I cannot tighten the nut enough to prevent water running down the thread of the waste fitting below the sink. I'm guessing that the water is finding a route either between the plug and sink on the top side, or possibly through the lower washer ? Is there a better way of sealing this ?

Thanks Tony

Reply to
Tonyb

Buy a tube of Fernox LS-X, apply thinly to all mating surfaces, leave for an hour.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

click/clack ..I presume you mean a popup waste . I have one of those and had no problem with any leakage but I think I dumped the upper washer and used Plumbers Mait to seat it .. As for the large nut underneath I have just had a quick look using a mirror and there is a washer underneath but I have a feeling it is rubber not plastic .I think I might have smeared it with LSX sealant and certainly I have had absolutely no problem with it since it was fitted. Are both the washers you got with the waste plastic ?...is one not rubber .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Concentrate on sealing behind the nut.

Reply to
John

The lower one is rubber. So the general consensus seems to be to use fernox lsx sealant/plumbers mait and possibly not use the upper plastic washer either ?

Reply to
TonyB

... or silicone

what goes on on the upper side makes no difference re leaks. Plastic washers just spread the load.

NT

Reply to
NT

The washer between the sink and the plug stops the water draining when the plug is down - leave it out and the sink won't hold water, although it won't cause a leak.

I prefer using these

the underside rather than using sealant.

auctions