Leaking roof over carport

The roof tiles above our carport are letting in water, which runs down the felt, and pours out in a stream (blue arrow). This has rotted the edge of the felt, and the ceiling is consequently degrading (red arrow):

roofing expert says the problem is the type of concrete tile used for the low pitch of 17.5 degrees, and has recommends replacing the tiles and felt on the entire side of the roof - cost 4k.

The amount of water in heavy rain is moderate, like a tap turned on so it just pours. There is no leaking in the loft or garage - just the protruding carport section. Is there a less drastic solution?

The bungalow was built in 1965, and the others in the row have a similar problem.

Reply to
Mark Lewis

Are you into DIY? If so, take off the tiles, remove the tiling laths, put roofing felt on the rafters (thick 'top' felt, I mean, not tiling felt) nail on new laths and replace the tiles. Just do this on the carport, not the whole roof. Nice job for a sunny day for two of you and you could toast yourselves with champagne at the end of it (and bank the £3,900).

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham