Leaking roof

I have a small hole somewhere at the base of my attic window. (Three storey Victorian terrace) Now the rain has found it, it is dripping on to the ceiling below. The trouble is that that section of the roof is enclosed between a lathe and plaster wall and the eaves, where I cannot get in to see it. Is there the equivalent of a product used for car windows called "Seek and Seal". This follows the route of the water and seals the hole. Otherwise have you any ideas? Obviously I'm not keen to get on the roof and am pretty certin that the hole is within reach of the attic window (if only I could find it)

Reply to
Jim Scott

Oh Oh. Leaks can often be quite a bit away from where they are appearing to come from, and it's just that they run down to the lowest point that allows them to drip. The attic window might be fixed to the beams on either side of it, and the actual leak could be at the top of the roof. The water runs down the inside of the beam until it reaches a screw nail holding the window in place. The screw nail forms a small barrier that doesn't allow all the water to pass. This creates a dam that fills up till the water begins to drip off the screw nail.

So the leak might be well away from the actual point from which it appears at the bottom of the attic window and you really need to gain access all round the area to find out for sure. I do hope for your sake that the part you expose is actually the point of the main leak, or you'll have to keep going with the ripping things out until you do find it.

I've never heard of any product that can be applied to a roof that finds leaks on its own, due mainly I expect to the fact that product would have to be applied to the whole of the outside of the roof so that it had more chance of actually finding where the leak was. I think that would be a very, very expensive product indeed, don't you?

Good luck with it.

Reply to
BigWallop