Leaking microwave?

Hi,

I'm beginning to worry about our microwave oven. I've noticed that if I'm using a bluetooth headset in the kitchen and I turn the microwave on, the headset crackles very badly and then loses its connection with the telephone. Is this normal? I doubt it.

The oven was a ridiculously overpriced built-in model, otherwise I would be putting it straight in the skip and getting another one for =A319.99 from Argos.

Cheers!

Martin

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

I'm beginning to worry about our microwave oven. I've noticed that if I'm using a bluetooth headset in the kitchen and I turn the microwave on, the headset crackles very badly and then loses its connection with the telephone. Is this normal? I doubt it.

The oven was a ridiculously overpriced built-in model, otherwise I would be putting it straight in the skip and getting another one for £19.99 from Argos.

Cheers!

Martin

other than encasing the microwave in lead, there is noway you are gonna keep all the microwaves in. If the microwave is undamaged, then it will be ok to use.

Steve

Reply to
R.P.McMurphy

I'm beginning to worry about our microwave oven. I've noticed that if I'm using a bluetooth headset in the kitchen and I turn the microwave on, the headset crackles very badly and then loses its connection with the telephone. Is this normal? I doubt it.

I'd do a quick testicle count every morning if I were you. Any more than 2, & you might have a problem :-)

woodglass

Reply to
woodglass

I'm beginning to worry about our microwave oven. I've noticed that if I'm using a bluetooth headset in the kitchen and I turn the microwave on, the headset crackles very badly and then loses its connection with the telephone. Is this normal? I doubt it.

The oven was a ridiculously overpriced built-in model, otherwise I would be putting it straight in the skip and getting another one for £19.99 from Argos.

Cheers!

Martin

The crackles are probably coming from the motor which drives the turntable.

You are probably safe enough!

(borrow a microwave detector from your local secondary school if you are really worried)

John.

Reply to
John E

Then you would be a polyorchid. Personally I would worry more about having less than two.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Bluetooth works in exactly the same frequency band as microwave ovens (around 2·45 GHz). Bluetooth uses extremely low power, so any minute radiation from the oven (running at ca. 1kW?) will very likely overload a nearby Bluetooth device. I wouldn't worry.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Look into "802.11g router microwave interference" on google, or...

Colin Wilson

Didn't you know?

Most people have three....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Our new and in good condition Phillips microwave used to *flatten* reception on the ordinary analogue telly we had in the kitchen.

Don't worry about it.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

I understand your worry, why not just move away when it is on. I won't stand in front of mine.

Graham

Reply to
Graham Jones

clean the door. Apparently this can cause problems if its dirty... rent or hire or borrow a microwave detector or pop it to the microwave repair centre if they still exist...) but for instant peace of mind 20 quid gets you a new one.

Reply to
Mogga

In article , Derek Geldard writes

That does sound rather serious!..

Well..

I saw some vegetables that had been partially rotted when left for a few days next to a real leaky microwave.. but that was a rather old one..

Yes they can leak..

But as stated bloo-tooth uses the 2.4 band as well as a lot of other devices and there is going to be some radiation, but I rather doubt that its going to cause you to suffer your molecules to alter;)

Reply to
tony sayer

Martin Pentreath wrote

=20 Aldi have a Draper microwave tester / screwdriver / continuity checker=20 in this week (from 12th onwards). =A32.99

Or I'm pretty sure that B&Q sell them for =A31.99, but they are a no-name= =20 brand with screwdriver blade of terrible quality.

--=20

-blj-

Reply to
Brian L Johnson

Martin Pentreath laid this down on his screen :

Perfectly normal, there is always some small amount of leakage. Check the case is undamaged and the door shuts cleanly.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In message , tony sayer writes

Well they shouldn't have put the telly in the microwave.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

In message , Martin Pentreath writes

My Bluetooth headset has a specific bit in the instructions that mentions that microwaves may cause signal interference.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

RFI is not a safety issue. Microwaves can be checked for leakage by checking the door closes fully, and its not misaligned or bent, and that there are no rust holes in the cooking cavity.

Or you can follow the 'other' advice, ditch a good machine and buy a =A320 crappy one, and waste another couple of quid on a gimmick that claims to detect microwave leakage.

Its only 1970s and earlier nukes that may leak significantly without being damaged.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

wrote

Gimmick? =20

Even if you think that part of it's a gimmick, it's still a circuit- tester / fuse-checker / screwdriver / neat toy with flashing lights. =20

IMO, that's well worth a couple of quid. :) =20

--=20

-blj-

Reply to
Brian L Johnson

Both high reliability solutions. Light doesn't come on so it must be OK.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yep, I wondered if anyone else would say that. In fact I'm rather disappointed that this wasn't one of the first comments but I guess peop= le just don't know how things work these days.

With 1kW of 2.4GHz RF about even -60dB of leakage is 1W which is roughly=

100 times that of a Bluetooth device. Oh and the 1W of leakage is nothin= g to worry about, your mobile phone will pump out 1W of RF and you hold th= at right next to your brain...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice