Leaking Flat roof where joins roof tiles

I have a dormer window with a flat roof above then roof tiles. When ever we get strong wind and rain from a particular direction I get water coming in to the bedroom. I have decided this is because the roof felt does not go ve ry far under the roofing tiles and rise up the battons above it, only about 50mm so I think I need to glue some felt to it to extend it up and behind the roofing tiles (Double Roman). Flat roof is about 3m wide so I basically need a piece of felt about 3M by 0.2M I would guess, maybe Self-Adhesive F lashing tape or torcheable felt? Any ideas would be appreciated, the other complication is that I have solar panels above that need to be unclipped to access the first row of tiles. These seem to be bolted to the support brackets and I believe plugged toget her.Access is easy so I am assuming I can turn off at the inverter and temp orarily unscrew and place on the flat roof while I work (wearing insulating gloves and a cloudy day) Any help would be appreciated.

panel / /\ / / \ / / \ ____________/_/felt\ |dormer |

Steve

Reply to
Steve Jones

Could well be true. I had roof leaks after my solar panels were fitted. I got the b****s back, they had to take the whole lot off to fix the problem. This was in the early days when none of them knew what they were doing. With concrete tiles they push the tiles up and screw the brackets either to the rafters or they put in and additional wide batten and screw to that. The tiles have to be "nicked out" on the lower underside edge to let them lay flat when they are put back. A tile could well have cracked if they didn't do the job properly, so this is the first thing to check. Your roof felt may well have a hole in or be perished.

So if you have a cracked tile that has been lifted by the PV panel installers, get the buggers back to fix it.

The PV panels BTW just have male and female waterproof connectors that just pull to separate. You can't touch anything live unless you poke something down the hole. Be sure to secure loose wiring with cable ties. If it flaps in the wind, the conductors soon break. Be careful not to short the panles out by wrong connection (easily done) If nothing works,first thing to check.

Inverter has two isolators, turn AC off first then DC Turn DC on first then AC. (So as not to open DC isloator under load, they are not rated for that)

Remember the to inverter has large capacitors that take a few minutes to discharge. Do not tell anybody "Official" you have been f***g about with it, they might get shirty about guarantees etc.

Reply to
harryagain