Leaking flat roof - suggestions ?

Noticed last night that the flat roof on the garage has developed a leak. It's about 3m x 4m, and the classic layered-felt construction.

Now my opinion is that there are 2 types of flat roofs : those that leak, and those that are going to leak.

I notice there are a few places on line selling DIY rubberising kits ... has anyone any experience ? Or would I be better off just re- laying some felt with some bitumen ?

Reply to
Jethro

I used the EPDM membrane when I replaced the garage roof (I raised various joists so that garage, kitchen and porch extensions were all the level and re-boarded the lot, rather than the previous hodgepodge).

The actual stage of gluing the roof and unfurling the membrane was a bit fraught with only one assistant, but it's not a contact adhesive, so you can lift it and reposition if you get air bubbles. very pleased with it

4 years later (though even felt would struggle to fail that soon).
Reply to
Andy Burns

I should have added that (obviously) this is a critical must-do job, so whatever I do needs to be doable in current temperatures ...

Reply to
Jethro

This suggests that the best plan is a temporary fix until at least Easter, followed by a permanent fix. So slapping some more felt over the leaking area sounds a good idea.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Applies to any roof. Only the timescale differs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)