leaking flat roof

Have a single storey brick outhouse on side of house which has a 15 ft square re-inforced concrete roof with a 3 brick depth parapet. The roof is/was sealed with a layer of heavy tarred felt which has started lifting and leaking after the recent bad weather. would I need any planning permission and would it be practicable to put a sloping roof with plastic roof tiles. Because of a landing window 18 inches above parapet level the slope will not be very steep but could be increased by taking off the parapet opposite the house. The other alternative is a flat roof repair. TIA.

Reply to
yaputa

My feeling is that if it's a concrete base the repair should be relatively cheap as it's only a question of replacing the felt - or perhaps using a better method. Neglected flat roofs tend to be expensive to repair because the substrata needs replacement too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't know if you'd need planning permission for a pitched roof, but if you decide to go the route of a flat roof repair, you could consider fibreglassing the whole thing - that's what I did with mine about 12 years ago.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

One assumes it's still there and in good nick? B-)

How does it handle expansion contraction? We have a flat roof, torch on fleted ATM but it's been up there at least 10 years. Looking at something about 25' by 12'.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Mine's smaller, at around 20' x 10', but no problems so far. It probably has enough room to expand though anyway - one side is against next-door's extension, one goes up under the tiles of the house's pitched roof and the other two edges simply overhang down into the gutter, being bonded to the bargeboards and therefore slightly flexible, while still being firmly attached.

We were uncertain of the existing roof, so we re-boarded it; coated the boards with resin; slid a piece of pre-impregnated mat (it's just flexible enough to be bought as a roll) over the board to tile joint and slipped it up under the tiles; laid and rolled two layers of cut-strand mat; one layer (possibly two, I can't remember) of tissue; and finished off with a grey pigmented gel coat (the pigment helps prevent UV damage) containing wax (the gel coat will stay tacky in the presence of air, so the wax floats to the top and seals it, to let it harden).

We got out supples from Glasplies (we're in Manchester and they're in Southport, so no great bother to get it). I was quite impressed by their attitude to health and safety over the extractor fan on the public side of the counter (it was there at least 20 years and may still be) - it's about

5'6" up the wall; with metal blades; no guard; and a hadwritten sign saying "Keep your bloody fingers out" next to it!

Fibreglass is slightly noisier than the original roof when it rains, but nothing major (we sleep directly below it and it causes no problem).

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker