Leaking conservatory

Hi We purchased a conservatory from B & * last summer, which is made by and supplied through Cestr*m conservatories, B & * say they are just the agents (don't know if I can mention names here?) Anyhow the panels all came pre-glazed and slid into the sill which in turn is screwed to the brick work, the conservatory is full hight glazed and the panels are held together via alloy slide in bars and are covered by plastic strips which just clip over the alloy bars. Water is getting into the sill and pouring onto the floor. We siliconed all the parts as instructed in the installation manual and video, however because a lot of the parts just clip in place, water is finding many routes down the pre-glazed panels, including between the glass and rubber seals, all this water is filling the sill up and soaking through the brick work and through every clip together panel that are too tight a joint to silicon but not tight enough to stop water. We think the whole thing needs taking apart and re-doing. We've tried contacting the supplier direct, they say it's not their conservatory even though their phone number is on the assembly instructions, B & * are sat on the fence and are in the process of saying their trying to sort things out with their supplier. In the mean time we're stuck with an unwanted indoor swimming pool. We just wandered has anyone had any similar experiences and what was the conclusion, any advice will be welcomed though. Thanks Becky

Reply to
albeck

It's reasonably simple.

The supplier is pretty much irrelevant in this. You purchased the conservatory from B&Q, you paid them and your contract for supply is with them. They have the responsibility to deal with the supplier, not you.

How long since you complained to B&Q? Did you do so in writing? By Special Delivery? Have you put it to them that the product is not of merchantable quality? have they been to look at it? Did you follow the instructions to the letter?

Did you pay by credit card or other credit vehicle? Have you contacted the credit company? In writing? Special Delivery?

In these issues, you have to be assertive and proactive. The result if you don't is that they will continue to procrastinate.

If this has gone on for more than a month from complaint to B&Q, then it is time to step up the heat and ask for a resolution. You can give them 14 days as a reasonable period of time. Contact the card company if you haven't because they are jointly and severally liable with B&Q. Don't not pay credit card bills.

Make sure that you keep records of all letters. Note all phone calls but generally avoid them.

Take photographs when and where there is ingress of water.

Is the value of the purchase less than £5k?

If so, and all other remedies have not produced quick results, then you can issue a summons for Small Claims action. This can be done easily and on line.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Becky,

Was this a self erect project?

Did you drill through the cill to fix it? If you did, then that may be the cause of your troubles. perhaps the frames are not waterproof in the true sense, and water will enter the sections through the various seals/joints, run down to the cill area and the drain out through the 'weep' holes built into the frame - a-la UPVC.

If you have drilled the cill, then water will probably be draining through those holes rather than the designed ones.

If you bought it from B&Q, then under the SoGA 1979 (as amended), your contract is with them and not the manufacturers/suppliers - so the cannot just wash their hands of it.

*BUT*, if it was supplied by the company and erected by your good self or spouse or your own contractor, then unless there is a design fault in the modules (or just plain poor manufacturing) it will be up to you to sort the problem out.

A brief reply, but I hope it's of some help?

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Andy - thanks for those hit points - your post has been pasted out and filed under Complaints !!

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

d will have to write a letter to B&Q