"leaking" cistern

Could have been, I agree, but definitely not. Small plastic things. Quiet. Modern!

(Actually the old old-fashioned ballcock that had been fitted to the previous downstairs cistern could take around 10 minutes to fill. Scale was the culprit there.)

Reply to
Rod

Nope - it's not a leaking valve causing an overflow, while this is going on water is coming in through the valve (slowly - it normally takes 5 min or so to fill up) but is going straight out again. But as far as I can see the syphon should be in the way...

The only thing I can think of is a leak at the bottom of the syphon where it gets clamped to the cistern floor. But then I can't see why it doesn't happen all the time, and why it goes down the pan not onto the floor.

Reply to
PCPaul

Its not leaking its continuing to siphon this happens with a partially failed flush ie normally all the water is siphoned out in one quick go until sufficient air is sucked into the siphon to stop the process. With a failed normal flush and sufficient incoming water it can continue to siphon, the cure is to replace the diaphragm or limit the water volume entering the cistern when the ball c*ck is *Fully open*.

-
Reply to
Mark

A crack in the plastic?

Reply to
<me9

Hi. Reading the posts I got the impression a few people had gravity-fed feeds to the toilet from the loft. Is this the way you are supposed to do it? I think the toilets in the houses I have lived in have always been direct off the mains.

I was going to ask why you would connect to the loft tank. I suppose that it might be convenient to tee off the bath supply (though I note Rod has run a separate feed) but wouldn't you also have a mains feed to the basin that you could use? Or have I got that wrong too? Should be basin be gravity fed (again, I don't think any of mine have ever been).

I thought you only needed to balance showers, not baths or basins.

But then I read this:

Which sounds a very good idea. Why didn't I think of that?

Reply to
Fred

It is nice if the temperatures of the various mixers (bath, bathroom basin and cloakroom basin) do not get thrown by the cistern suddenly starting to fill or cutting off. Of course, there will inevitably be some temperature drift when multiple taps are in use, including the kitchen hot.

This house has always had the bathroom cold fed from the tank. I chose to let it stay like that in an attempt to keep even flows of H & C. Also, tank fed water is usually quieter - even though the tank refill might replace that noise. With a brand new tank, I am comfortable using the tank water for tooth brushing. (I could quite easily have fed mains cold if I had wanted to.) But most properties I have lived in, IIRC, the bathroom cold has been direct mains.

I only really thought about the water cut issue because just before I did the work there had been major disruption to our mains. Sort of made it obvious. But as both cisterns had previously been very slow I was quite ready to make them both mains, if needed.

Reply to
Rod