Leaking cistern.

Hi all. I've just installed a new close coupled toilet and cistern. The only fly in the ointment is a leak from the 2 bolts holding the cistern to the pan. It must be the thick rubber washer between cistern and pan. The bolts have butterfly nuts on the underside so they must only require hand tightening. Any tips on solving this problem?

Thanks very much.

Arthur

Reply to
Davao

Hi again. I've just looked up a few previous posts on this issue. I will try to reseat the cistern tomorrow. Would a bit of ordinary bath sealant be help?

Arthur

Reply to
Davao

"Davao" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

Earlier posts advised no sealant.

I agree with this, but I sometimes wonder if a bit of lubricant, ie washing up liquid, would help with seating the doughnut.

But you wouldn't want to use anything that would attack the material in the long term

mike

Reply to
mike

Did you use a new rubber seal or re-use the old one .I had to replace my toilet pan anf re-used the odl seal and it leaked when flushed the cistern ,the leak coming from between the cistern and pan .I was advised on her that reusing the seal doesn't work and to replace it .I got the new one today .I was also advised that no sealant was needed . The message is just a few days ago

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Everything is new; having replaced a high level cistern with low level. This toilet and cistern doesn't have any means of 'positively' fixing the seal in position. So I have to very carefully place the cistern onto the pan.

The seal I have is rubbery sponge like stuff..not pure rubber. Is this common or is mine a cheapo?

Arthur

Reply to
Davao

Plumbers Mate??

Reply to
EricP

As long as it's ordinary *silicone* bath sealant, I should think so. Put the thing together, make sure the surfaces are dry before you apply sealant, wait for enough time for the sealant to go off to a good degree before you flush the thing.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

snipped

Arthur . The replacement coupling kit I got from Screwfix yesterday also had a rubber seal that had what I think will be made from similar stuff to what you describe .

I don't understand what you mean when you say

---------------------------------------------------------------- This toilet and cistern doesn't have any means of 'positively' fixing the seal in position. So I have to very carefully place the cistern onto the pan.

Nothing fixes the seal in position.It is held there by the pressure caused by the bolts pulling the cistern down on to the pan . The cistern then bolts or screws on to the supporting wall or structure behind

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

EricP wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

p?

Believe it or not, I've never met Plumbers mate; I thought it was a sealant like boss white or that white tape whose name I've fergot.

I don't think it's a good idea to use anything that will actually stick the bits together, I can see it causing distortion and maybe failure of the doughnut.

mike

Reply to
mike

I've just finished installing a new bathroom and had a similar problem. The fixing bolts and washers were already installed in the cistern but had been inserted incorrectly at the factory. I took them all out and reinstalled making sure all the surfaces were clean. I'd suggest you check that these washers are not damaged and are inserted correctly. Don't assume it's leaking from the thick washer. And I'd agree that you shouldn't need any sealant

ed

Reply to
eddie

What...The cistern and pan arrived already connected .????

From what you describe it doesnt sound like the type with the metal plate attached to the underside of the cistern with the rubber doughnut seal between cistern and pan........or was it .?

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

They weren't connected but the fixing bolts were already attached to the cistern ready to be fed through corresponding holes in the pan which were then fixed with the butterfly nuts.

I didn't have the metal plate (but i did have the donut seal) as the bolts actually passed through holes in the bottom of the cistern (i.e.through the ceramic) - it was here that was leaking.

ed

Reply to
eddie

If it isn't leaking from there, it isn't leaking.

This, as written, is a true statement.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

What are they, then?

"doughnut". HTH.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Chris Bacon wrote in news:448739f9$ snipped-for-privacy@newsgate.x- privat.org:

I fixed my BIL's and his was leaking from the bolts eddie described.

They had been disturbed and were all manky and the sealing washers were rotten.

(TBH, prolly only one of them, but I didn't count)

mike

Reply to
mike

Ah...That kind ..I've never actually seen that kind of cistern connection altho' the replacement bolt kit I bought the other day from B+Q turned out to be that kind ..longish pan headed bolts with the thread all the way up as opposed to the kind I needed with the square shoulders that fit the metal plate .Back they went to B+Q and I got the proper ones from Screwfix as a kit with the seal and plate .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

As it happens, it wasn't the donut that was the problem. This was positioned quite well. It was anchor bolts that leaked, caused by the citern interior which is roughly cast/thrown.

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Davao