Leak from radiator valve

Hi,

Got the stopcock and the washing machine sorted thanks to people on this NG, so hoping to get a bit more free advice :-)

I've now got a leaking radiator valve - rather than try and explain in vague terms where it is I've posted a picture:

(32k)

This seemed to start when I opened the valve a little (the carpet wasn't damp before I did!), but adjusting it doesn't seem to help. I have managed to slow the leak quite a bit by closing the valve as much as I can (so I've got a nice cold living room now...)

The nut beneath the valve stem won't tighten any further (any tinkering appeared to increase the rate of dripping, actually). I'm imagining that I'm going to have to remove the rad and either fit a new valve (time for a TRV?) or at least pack it with a good amount of PTFE, but thought it might be worth asking here first in case anyone had any ideas!

In the meantime, the pipe is liberally wrapped in toilet paper that seems to be absorbing it for now...

Thanks, John.

Reply to
JM

Fit new valve. You can perform a post mortem on the existing unit and possibly replace the failed/folded O-ring then at your leisure.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Will do. We've got a plumber coming over tomorrow (boiler failure overnight - just what we needed when it's this cold outside!) so I'll get him to sort it out tomorrow. I'm not quite up to removing rads yet.

John.

Reply to
JM