Leak burnt water pump, didn't trip any fuses but shocked me!

The plumbers who did the installation when my house was converted just over a year ago were complete morons, the latest c*ck-up I've found yesterday was that they hadn't tightened the connections to a pump, finally leaving me with a slow leak that itself was fixed with a quarter turn of a spanner.

What worries me a bit is that the pump (Grundfos UP15-14B) got soaked by the leak as it was installed with the body down instead of up (not sure if that's wrong or a non-issue?). Stupidly in the dark I touched the pump first, and got a very sharp and painful "tingle" (not the full electric force though, I know the difference ;-) and whenever a drop of water hit the electric connections it vaporised. When I disconnected the pump and opened the cover I saw it was well and truly burnt.

However neither the fuse in the connection box (13amps!!!) that only serves the pump nor the fuse that also serves the central heating and boiler had tripped.

The pump appeared to be properly grounded, and all the pipes in my house are copper. I understand that not enough current was leaking to blow the fuses, but shouldn't a grounded water pump on copper pipes *not* shock their owner? I'd like to understand that all is OK for another pump to simply be fitted :-) ...

Reply to
cs

How is your pump grounded? Are your CH pipes bonded to earth? Mine were only indirectly bonded, via the cold water pipe going into the combi, and I'm not sure that's enough. Is your consumer unit earth properly connected to a good earth?

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

It's wrong and you've just discovered one of the reasons why.

Stupidly in the dark I touched the

If the fault does not cause substantially more than 3A to flow either by short circuit or to Earth then the fuse wont blow. You probably touched the wet plastic part and a small current flowed through the water and then you and then by some means to ground.

For the £40 than a replacement pump costs I'd go that route because the existing pump might have any number of problems. However if you are really strapped for the £40 then you could simply reposition it and let the electrics dry out, likely it may give many years of service.

The correct position is with the pump motor _slightly_ above horizontal.

Reply to
Ed Sirett