Lead shot

In the days when my dad used to make his own fishing leads we both used to look in the gutters for scraps of lead left by the roofers.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Try diving shops. Lead shot is common in weightbelts.

Alternatively cast your own - something else that's common in older diving circles... I've seen moulds made from wood too...

You could even take lead sheeting and tightly roll it into a cylinder. Taper the ends with some gentle hammering (and fix in a cup-hook at the same time) Won't have quite the same density, but ...?

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Hmm - thanks. I'd never heard of it!

Reply to
Frank Erskine

The scones my mother-in-law used to make would be ideal.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

AGH! That's the worst crime so far admitted in this group! AUGH! Bill: re lead .... do you think it wise, to be fessing up in that way, in this current climate of retrospective judicial proceedings? :-)

J.

Reply to
Another John

Possibly not. I think I'll keep quiet about the arson.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Use nuclear waste so you get a nice warm glow.

Reply to
dennis

All of my stock of solder is real tin/lead. All other stuff is bogus.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I have a sufficiency of that, but it does seem a bit of a clart pouring it into a sparklets bulb.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

It'd look awful.

Safer?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Actuially I did buy some today (ok - yesterday) from a local scuba diving shop. Not particularly cheap (8 quid a kg), in a stitched-up net bag. I may have to drill a slightly larger hole in the bulb to get the stuff in, but it's all pottering-about-material innit!

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In message , Frank Erskine writes

There will be a world shortage

... I bought 36 kg of 60/40/ today

Reply to
geoff

In message , Arfa Daily writes

12 x 2kg reels @ £45 24 x 500g reels @ £15

in round terms

IIRC

Reply to
geoff

In message , geoff writes

When I actually "worked", in season, I would get through a 500g reel / month, so 5-6 kg / year

with 4 people working on pcbs for me, that's 2 years supply

Thinking that lead and tin will only go up in price, I'm wondering if that was enough or whether I should have bought more

Reply to
geoff