Lead Shot?

No ... you are missing crux of OP comment ... he wants lead SHOT ... not cast weights.

I have a mould for casting my own scuba 2Kg weights ... but can't make lead shot.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I also scuba dive ... lead shot is expensive. Make do with cast lead weights to start off ... and pick up 2nd hand shot bags as and when you can.

Or make your own lead shot ........ just need a tall tower and a bucket of molten lead, drop slowly aiming at bucket of water ... get a mate to stand by bucket so he can tell you what your aim is like ... seems safe enough.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

anyway elf & safely are bound to outlaw lead shot at some point

Reply to
Rick Hughes

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "SantaUK" saying something like:

Eh? It's a piece of piss to do. Some diyer.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Good G$d, have they not. This terrible. :)

Reply to
Clot

Just thought about this - are you sure that you need 20kg? When I was diving the most I can remember anyone using (big chap in a dry suit) was about 25lb with possibly an extra lump for sea use. Personally I was down to about 9lb at one point (skinny runt in a semi dry).

Certainly I would hold fire on buying any until you get to the point where you need far less than that if at all possible.

Mark Spice

Who said anything about guns? In a bloodless coup, it might be a WD-40 enema.......

Reply to
newshound

They are the same size as these billiard balls that I intend using for my Newton's cradle.

Matty F

I was out again yesterday, this time I tried with 16kg, and yes I went down, but took a bit of an age!

I am diving normally with 18kg. So think I will move up to 17kg to see how I get on.

Thanks

Reply to
SantaUK

It depends where - and in what, for example warm weather diving, in a 3mm suit ... I dive with 7Kg of lead

If it with Steel tanks I can drop a further 1Kg.

In UK salt waters with a drysuit & undersuit .... at least 10Kg needed.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Two thousand & one uses!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

West coast scotland, 14 degrees, Scubapro Everdry 4 neoprene drysuit with undersuit, 12 litre tank, and a lard ass in the middle of it all, and I need

16kg min!!!!
Reply to
SantaUK

You don't need it to be shot, just smallish pellets. You can cast quite easily by arranging a length of steel L angle as a vee, then pouring a thin stream along that. After it's cold, snip it to lengths.

Or make your own shot, with a water barrel and an upstairs window. One storey is quite enough, if you don't care too much about sphericity and ballistics.

Scrap lead is most easily acquired from garages and tyre dealers (old wheel weights). They'll want money for it, but scrap price isn't all that much. You can use rubbish grade lead (i.e. harder than pure soft lead), but avoid car batteries as there's too much cadmium around with those to start melting them without proper fume control.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Rick Hughes" saying something like:

20 storeys of tower block would surely do?
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Why not just find an old car battery of the right weight and use that as is? :)

Reply to
Matty F

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

Like this ?