Lead-lined stone guttering

Long shot I know but can anyone recommend someone around Preston, Lancashire who is competent at working on lead-lined stone guttering?

It's a mid-terrace house and it's getting very damp at ceiling level in the front bedroom (11ft 6in ceiling height with damp patch starting at the top and coming down about 3ft, also about 2 to 3ft wide). We got someone in to sort it and he reckoned it was the guttering joint between our house and next door. We thought he'd sorted the problem but it seems not.

We're not sure either if it's more to do with next door's gutter rather than ours - if it is, there's no chance of him doing anything to rectify the situation so if that were the case, is there anything that we could do

*inside* our bedroom that would keep the damp on the outside and prevent it coming through?

TIA

Reply to
Pete Zahut

Sorry, should have said that the houses were built in 1874 and don't have cavity walls, just single brick construction.

Reply to
Pete Zahut

You need a proper plumber. B-) How you find some one properly skilled in lead work these days I'm not sure. May be a look at the lead sheet makers to see if there is any forma trade association?

How long ago? Solid walls take months to dry out properly

Set your insurers on him...

Not really and won't help with damage to the wall. At that age I suspect it will have been built with lime mortar and possibly cheap bricks permenantly damp won't do them any good at all.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

About 12 months ago.

Good point, may well do that. I never thought about going through insurance to be honest, just in case it bumps up the premium next year.

Thanks Dave, much appreciated.

Reply to
Pete Zahut