Lead Free solder

Since when did any guv mint (with a tax hole) ever allow us to vote for the tax we would prefer to pay? :-(

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Chris - seek treatment.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I bought a white metal kit a few years ago and I have been to scared to start it as the solder for white metal is white metal. It takes me back to my apprenticeship when I had to braze brass studs into copper blocks. You had about a second after the braze melted before the stud melted and you finished up with a great blob of molten brass.

Kevin

Reply to
Kev

The solder for white metal is low melt tin-lead solder. It melts at a lower temp than the white metal and is quite easy to use. The trick is not to have the iron too hot or heat the joint so much that you melt the workpiece.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

It's less reliable in the hands of Americans? On second thoughts, that applies to most things. No relevance at all.

Reply to
Aidan

What's the score with lead free solder for plumbing.

Do the new laws prohibiting the use of lead free solder in electronics manufacturing also apply to plumbing? Will all solder joints now have to be lead free?

I don't see much leaded 60/40 solder for sale nowadays - seems quite rare and difficult to obtain......

Reply to
rig doc

I tried that with carbon pencils, brass into copper bar. You're right!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The message from "Kev" contains these words:

I'd have thought friction welding might have been more suitable.

Reply to
Guy King

I've never used leaded solder in plumbing. Lead free is superior in that it don't turn your children into retards. There is no reason whatsoever to use leaded solder. Perhaps you just have a poor torch (i.e. a paint stripping type Taymar) that isn't suitable for plumbing.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

|I've never used leaded solder in plumbing. Lead free is superior in that it |don't turn your children into retards.

I will take that as an insult, because I was brought up in the days when water was delivered in lead pipes.

Never had any trouble earning a comfortable living :-)

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Ah. Explains a lot. ;-)

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Lead is only an issue in hot water systems which are used for drinking water. Cold is fine with no safety issues here. Much of UK is still served up by means of lead pipe as the rising main. Anything pre 1950's afaik most likely have lead. To be totally honest I don't drink water from the hot tap - the thought of water delivered from a water tank in the loft isn't as appealling from water delivered from the rising main!!

Reply to
<SuitSat>

Lead solder won't do that half as fast as Nu Laber and tellytubbies will.

Fix the IMPORTANT things first.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My hot water system is potable. Not a rat infested loft tank in sight! Good for filling kettles and pans.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The message from contains these words:

You got something against dilute pigeon soup?

Reply to
Guy King

"Christian McArdle" wrote in >

Rat & pigeon soup? Adds to the flavour.....

Reply to
<SuitSat>

Yes, I had guinea pig in Peru (it's like the national dish). Quite frankly it looked like a rat. I can imagine the scene in the kitchens, "ah gringo! bring out the rat!".

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Lead free is inferior in that it when subjected to heat cycling in use cracks develop. It also needs significantly higher temperatures to melt and also has a longer setting time compared to leaded solders.

The amount of lead uptake from a typical household water system joined with lead containing solder is so small as to be totally insignificant. You'd die of dihydrogen monoxide (Hydrogen hydroxide) poisoning before the lead caused any damage.

Leaded pipes in soft water areas are where the real risk lies.

Reply to
Matt

I know. However, lead free solder works just fine in practice and there is absolutely no need to stock up on leaded solder.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The message from Matt contains these words:

I've just realised - alcohols are distinguished by their hydroxyl (-OH) group on one end. This means that water is an alcohol! At last an explanation for Monday mornings.

Reply to
Guy King