Lead flashing - what do the codes mean?

Hi all I need to replace some old lead flashing that has been poorly fitted between one of the walls of my house and a 'lean to' style roof. Had a look at a few on line stores and I notice that there are codes (3 and 4)? What does this mean,and what sort should I be looking at for my job? Also, which of all the major DIY retailers would it best to try and buy some from? Thanks in advance Simon

Reply to
Simon Hawthorne

The thickness, bigger the number the thicker the sheet is.

I'd go for code 4, unless you are very exposed in which case code 5.

I wouldn't I'd go to a builders merchant. But do you need to replace the lead? Can it not be redressed to the roof and the pointing corrected?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Ibs per square foot

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Oh so it is. I'd never twigged that very basic fact.

But for those who prefer less archaic units:

  • ========================= *
  • Lead sheet to BS 1178 *
  • ========================= *
  • Code Thickness Weight *
  • No. mm kg/m^2 *
  • ---- --------- ------ *
  • 3 1.32 15.0 *
  • 4 1.80 20.4 *
  • 5 2.24 25.4 *
  • 6 2.65 30.1 *
  • 7 3.15 35.7 *
  • 8 3.55 40.3 *
  • ========================= *
Reply to
Andy Wade

Thanks all.

Been and had another look today and boght 6m x 150mm (code 3) - I think this will do the job nicely.

Regards

Simon

Reply to
Simon Hawthorne

In article , Simon Hawthorne writes

How much?, most of the catalogues I have seen (not many) say POA.

Reply to
fred

Local builders merchant charged me £18.75 (weighed 13kg)

Si

Reply to
Simon Hawthorne

Apart from builders merchants, both my local Wicks and B&Q stock at least some lead. Haven't compared prices, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Simon Hawthorne writes

Thanks & for the weight too, approx 1.50 a kilo is a good for me as a guide.

Reply to
fred

I checked out Wickes:

3m x 240mm was £12.99 - but didn't see the code. They had a 15kg roll (not sure of the dims) for £24.99

S.

Reply to
Simon Hawthorne

When you buy lead is it sold by weight or lenght? Cheers

Reply to
Mo Thanku

Hi In my limited experience, it is sold by length, but the cost is worked out on weight..... Si

Reply to
Simon Hawthorne

Don't forget the patination oil and lead sealant!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I'm not sure properly designed and executed leadwork will need any sealant. After all its use dates back to somewhat before modern sealants - for that very reason.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I mean to insert into the brickwork. Obviously, you may also use mortar, but sealant is easier!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Right. However, if doing stepped flashing, you're likely to have to patch surrounding pointing also. How well does lead sealant match this? Otherwise, it seems you'll still have to knock up some mortar anyway?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Being dark grey, it matches well to the lead. I imagine the match to your average mortar would be appalling!

In my case, I didn't need to touch the pointing. I needed a angle grinder to shift it, it was so hard and certainly didn't remove any more than I needed to.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Right. I'll keep it in mind.

I keep forgetting not everyone has a Victorian pile where the mortar is soft. The pointing - once started on removal - is often difficult to stop. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Actually, I do. Some cretin repointed the rear elevation to the "extension" with a seriously strong mix. Luckily the front (and the rest of the rear) have escaped.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle