Lead flashing

Just had a quote for lead flashing. I need two rolls of it.

300mm Code 4, £102 + VAT.

Ouch!

mark

Reply to
Mark

Can't you strip some Chinese toys?

Reply to
Bob Martin

In article , Mark scribeth thus

Now you can understand why Mr Pikey is so interested in church roof's;>..

Reply to
tony sayer

How much on a roll ? - I fear my bay window (already done in lead)=20 will need replacing soon...

If you get a decent amount on a roll, I might even consider it for the=20 ground floor extension :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Around here its industrial units as well. January this year I replaced the lead flashing above the porches of 6 industrial units raided by Mr Pikey. Replaced it with Wickes Hi-Tack Flashing Strip which has no commercial value. Good little earner that - and no, it wasn't me who put Mr Pikey up to it :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

One would think, in this day and age that something made of plastic and fiberglass would do just as well? Is that what the Wickes stuff, referred to above, is?

Reply to
terry

More or less yes, I think its bitumen based. Won't last as long as lead, but less likely to be nicked.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Around here it's brass plates from the cemetery and manhole covers from the streets.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

Around here it's brass plates from the cemetery and manhole covers from the streets.

Chris

....all fuelled by the press with sensational stories that give the impression (through quoting the replacement cost including labour) that such metal is as valuable as gold.

Reply to
John

Plastics, in the broad sense, don't like the UV in sunlight and degrade at various rates, normally becoming brittle and then not able to cope with the thermal cycling. A decent bit of lead flashing will last the best part of 100 years or longer, that is a tough challenge to match.

I've used some "flash band" in the past thin bit of metal (0.5 to 1mm thick, a quick google indicates the metal to be aluminium) coated with a couple of mm of black bitumen like sticky stuff one one side. Works well enough. I guess the thickness of the goop allows enough movement for thermal expansion. Aluminium is pretty stable, through I'm not sure how it would do near the coast with salt in the air, particulary if in contact with any iron from nails/screws etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , John scribeth thus

Well I took some old odds and ends to the scrap dealers the other week educating the nippers about recycling.

Thought they were going to get a Fiver as pocket money..

Nearer £25 quid was what it raised. The price of scrap copper is silly money!..

Reply to
tony sayer

Just by chance, I was at the scrap dealers last week, and asked about the price of scrap cast iron and steel. £80/tonne was what they were paying then - which makes it worthwhile keeping a pile of odds and ends in the back garden until there is a van full of it. I took down some cast iron guttering today, so I'll be weighing in the lot in a few weeks. To the OP, apparently, lead has gone up in price 4 fold in the last year, shotgun cartridges are being increased in price by around 15% this month, the 2nd rise in a year. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

I pay arround 2.50 per KG. Code-4 is 4 pounds per square foot.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Small beer to the price of Copper....