Lead Flashing

I'm considering attempting to build a pitched roof over my existing flat roof on the protruding portion of my garage at the front of the house. The one area that I have no idea about is the Lead flashing. Is this a simple, angle grind out 1" or so of mortar, shove in the lead and point up? or is there more to it? Also, does anyone have any links to plans or walkthroughs for building a small pitch roof? TIA

Reply to
Vass

building a

Essentially yes, but the lead flashing should be retained with a 'mouse' of lead at regular intervals - say 9". The 'mouse' is a 1" strip of lead bent double or treble to make the height of the mortar joint, and firmly squashed in with a bolster chisel & hammer so that it forms into a very tight lump jamming the flashing physically into the wall.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Although this won't stop the local pikeys nicking it - or at least it didn't on a local industrial estate.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

existing

mortar

Like I said before, dodgy place Gravesend !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Hi Depends on what you are using for your roof cladding. Pressed metal flashing could be OK. I got a fair bit on roofing on my site, pitching a timber roof etc. Could be of interest Regards Bill

Reply to
Bill

Agreed - but I don't live in Gravesend!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

least

So you KEEP claiming - methinks he doth protest too much

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

But then I'd be The Gravesend Handyman - aha!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

thanks Bill It'll be tiles to match the house. will have a shufty at your site cheers

Reply to
Vass

In message , Vass writes

Wickes had a reasonable looking 'good Ideas' leaflet on lead work, you can download a pdf from their site:

It's no. 22, Working with Lead

Reply to
chris French