Lead acid repair

I expect to be disassembling some SLAs very soon to rebuild, since I can't get what I'm looking for commercially. Any tips on case disassembly with SLAs? Or on minimum plate thickness for SLAs that will see vibration in use?

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Why would you disassembling some Scottish Law Agents?

did try a Google search but the results didn't show anything remotely DIY. What are you on about?

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

  • sealed lead acid batteries
Reply to
Tabby

Service Level Agreements?

Reply to
Manticore

Don't be silly, he is talking about Service Level Agreements, and frankly an angle grinder is the only appropriate thing to use.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Symbionese Liberation Armies? Patty Hearst is still alive, you know.

Reply to
Skipweasel

The clue is in the message title! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Reply to
Graham.

OK. Lead acid repair = SLAs??? This is a DIY newsgroup not a crossword puzzle.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Now you see what happens when questions are reduced to acronyms If you had said sealed lead acid you may have got an answer instead of every body having fun and giggles (not that there is anything wrong with that)

Reply to
F Murtz

Sealed Lead Acid (Gel cell) batteries. The sort of thing that you can turn upside down without the acid leaking.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Or wang a 6 inch nail through like the Optima red top on my Land Rover? Still too few clues.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

In message , Tabby writes

Well, it's a shame that there are no answers because my son has just brought me two 12 volt sealed lead acid batteries to look at. I put them on my old traditional transformer + rectifier charger and they pull about 2 amps in, settle back off-charge at about 10 volts, and one section in the middle seems to be hotter than the surrounding area.

So, I'd be interested in any info as well.

Reply to
Bill

would.

Reply to
Steve Walker

That suggests a shorted cell. They should always be charged at constant voltage not on a traditional charger. 2.35v per cell until charged, 2.25 float charge max Stored ones must be charged at least every 6 months.

After many attempt to bring leads acis back from the dead I no longer bother. IME they never come back to anything like reliable performance. They can't be realistically opened, the best you can do is to drill down to the connecting straps to connect to individual cells.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Likely course of action is to set hand held circular saw to very shallow, and cut all around the sides near the top. When done, thinking of regluing it back on with silicone and reinforcing the whole thing with an all round layer of duct tape. A bit bodgy but should do the job - I'm pretty much assuming the case is welded together, not prise-apartable.

NT

Reply to
Tabby