LCD mounting brackets

Been asked to mount an LCD TV for someone, but I'm horrified at the price of the mounts, given what they are. Price seems to be for style. This one will be completely invisible. Anyone know a source of functional brackets for reasonable prices, without the style surcharge?

(This one needs to hold TV out about 30cm on a 200x100 VESA mount. A single extension arm would do.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

How big - and heavy - is the TV?

Does the mount need tilt adjustment? If so, does the tilt angle need to be able to be changed easily?

What is the construction of the wall to which it will be fixed?

I've recently been through a similar exercise to find a bracket for mounting a 26" Philips set in our new kitchen/diner. In our case, it needed to swing round easily, to be viewed from different positions, and the tilt angle also needed to be easily changeable.

At the time, Maplins were doing a bracket for about £25 which *looked* as if it might do the job, but I wasn't convinced that the tilt would be easily adjustable - it looked as if the set would flop forward unless the tilt bolts were done up tight.

In the end, I ended up with one of these

- which I got from Laskys for £80 (can't see it listed on the Laskys site at the moment)

Expensive - but does the job admirably.

One thing I found was that the back of the set flexed quite a lot on its 200 x 100 VESA mount. Since the bracket's plate covered a lot more of the set than the 200 x 100 Vesa area, I stiffened the whole thing up by putting a strip of double-sided sticky foam pads along the top and bottom of the plate - thus spreading the load over a larger area of the set. [No, I didn't cover up any ventillation holes!]

Reply to
Roger Mills

Have you looked at the TLC range? Got a double arm one from them at what was a reasonable price (compared to some) and it's nicely made. I have a TV in the kitchen over the 'breakfast bar' and I've fixed the bracket to the side of the chimney breast that forms the end of the kitchen bit and start of the breakfast room - so the TV is just above the bar. And can be swivelled to face either area or folded back out of the way.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

26", just under 10kg (much lighter than I was expecting).

Might be nice, but not essential.

No.

Clinker blocks (more often incorrectly called breeze blocks).

This won't be moved, except occasionally for any maintenance to the connections at the back. It's actually going into a box shelf, which used to hold a full depth TV. The bracket is just to bring it flush with the front from the shelf (it won't fit in on its suppiled stand).

I also thought about under-shelf supports, but a) they're even more expensive for even less bracket, and b) not sure they'd give necessary access to the rear for occasional maintenance.

Yes, that's even more expensive than the ones I thought were expensive!

The VESA mount on this one is right at the top of the set, which means the top of the wall bracket mustn't be any higher than the top of the VESA mount in the application where it's going to be used. A 200 x 100 bracket which is the top of a 200 x 200 bracket would probably give significant extra support in this case. (A 200 x 100 which is in the middle of a

200 x 200 bracket probably wouldn't work.)
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Ah, that's much more like it for prices. Now if they actually gave the stand-off distance from the wall, it would be a really good resource ;-) Could always fix to a wooden block if too short, I suppose.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

With the double arm one it's about 1.5-2" I suppose - depending on how much tilt you've got set.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Four short pieces of angle, 4 nuts/bolts/washers and a can of black bicycle spray paint (plus 2 short strips and 2 knobs if you want tilt). Made in 30 minutes, virtually invisible and results in the TV/monitor being held very close to the wall and being proof against being lifted-off by a marauding tea-leaf.

Reply to
NoSpam

Can you elaborate?

Reply to
dpydotsmw

I have just mounted a 17" lcd tv in our bedroom , the bracket was believe it or not from Tesco , it works perfectly (tilts and turns) and even had a built in spirit level! May be worth checking what they have in your local store , ours cost about =A313

Reply to
devonsteve

That's presumably when folded back? I think Andrew wants the dimension when it's extended.

Reply to
Roger Mills

If you want something that double-hinges away from the wall...

- Try

if only for the various designs (=A313-19-25)

- Pricey ergomounts are more for often-moved monitors

Coke cinder blocks crush easily due to big interstitial spaces.

- A monitor arm providing leverage is just enough to do it

- If the wall is bare, perhaps infill with a good cement mix

I recall you found how the black dust is destructive re staining :-) Some were only "part cast" just after the war and are unusually thin.

Reply to
js.b1

Right - I thought that was on the site. If not you could make a reasonable guess by the pic.

The double arm one extends to 400mm.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Maplin are still(/again) doing their bracket for £25 -

suspect that the 200 x100 holes are in the centre vertically, though - which would leave a bit of bracket sticking up above the set.

You might struggle to get a bracket - strong enough for your set - which has a plate no bigger than 200 x100,

Reply to
Roger Mills

Pretty simple really ...

2 pieces of aluminium angle screwed to the holes in the back of the display/TV. 2 pieces of angle fixed vertically to the wall, spaced so that the angle on the back of the TV nicely slide between them. Holes arranged in angle so that a bolt through each pair acts as a top pivot, if necessary a strip of metal at the bottom to give a tilt control (but I experimented first and decided that tilt/pivot wasn't necessary so I just have 2 lower bolts). The big advantage is that the TV is almost flush to the wall and totally solid - also, it cost about £3.
Reply to
NoSpam

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

Bought mine from CPC

£20 odd IIRC
Reply to
geoff

I bought two of these from IKEA (Leeds) for £10 each. Cannot find it on the UK IKEA site but found a pic on the Aussie site. The instriction book book says max 15KG but I don't know if this helps as it appears to be a 100 x 100 VESA mount (but may help others that may be looking. The IKEA part no is

401.053.64

John

I bought one off Ebay a few months ago - item # 200326067957.

It arrived quickly, and is very solid. I've got a 32" screen on it, and it's not going anywhere. Fixes up to the wall with 6 massive hex headed screws, which are included. It's not visible from in front of the screen.

Reply to
Doki

Looking to mount our new 42" Plasma (28Kg) across a room corner, I'm thing of using Dexion angle.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I have just ordered a TV cabinet and stand that will easily support that weight from ebuyer for £40.

and lacquered wood and its on wheels.

Reply to
dennis