layout of floorboards

I am due to put down some flooring next week and am unsure which direction boards should go. I am hoping to run them straight down hallway lengthways and into living room without a door strip, but if I do this the boards will run crossways to the window of living room. Will it look alright or should I put in a door strip beteen living room and hallway?

Reply to
gjam

I recommend laying them at right-angles to the joists.

This stops them falling through.

Reply to
Matt Beard

Isn't that what the tongues and grooves are for ;-)

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Tricky doing it the other way isn't it .........lol...If the Op manages it maybe he'll let us know how he did it ..

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

I didn't think to say that it is a purpose built flat with concrete floors. But thanks for the advice.

Reply to
gjam

So where does the floorboards come into it? or did you mean laminate flooring. ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Put in a door strip, you should have an expansion gap between rooms.

As to which way, it's been said before notsologogo but if laying on existing boards, crosswise to the existing boards for stability. otherwise, its a combination of aesthetics and convenience: in a rectangular room along the longest dimension tends to long best, the perspective effect of parallel lines receding away from the principle entrance or toward the principle view out of a window pleases the eye, starting with a strip against the longest straight run of wall may make setting out easier, click fit type boards can be put down and taken up first in first out, but putting them back after lifting only half the floor for maintenance isn't so easy (the click fit doesn't click so well when done grove into tongue). So if latter access is required lay so the part needing access is the last to go down (i.e. LIFO). In very small rooms, break any of the above to save awkward cutting and manipulation.

Reply to
DJC