Laying wooden floorboards on concrete floors

Hi
I have looked through the other threads about this issue and have come up with conflicting views. My question is simple, can I lay T&G floorboards directly onto concrete floors without laying any batons to nail the floorboards to?
Do I have to use laminate directly onto concrete, don't really like laminate so I would rather not?
I was thinking that I could drill and plug and then screw the floorboards down.
Thanks
John.
. My question is simple, can I lay T&G

Its best to put batons down first in my opinion. plug and screw them down first. If you are to put laminate down you will need to put a plastic membrane down first to stop condensation. BB
On 16 Jan 2004 06:17:51 -0800, jj snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (JJC001) wrote:

You really need to have battens unless you buy the special type of floor e.g. from Junckers, which has clip fixings and is laid on a special mat.
The boards need to be able to move, espcecially across the width. Having battens puts a slight spring in the floor
If you screw through them directly, to make them look decent you will need to counterbore and wooden plug them. Do you really want to do do a few hundred of those.? With battens, you drill and plug the floor and screw down the battens, then secret nail the boards.
You need to remove and raise or replace the skirting boards so that the floor goes underneath.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl