Laying vinyl flooring

I have a (slightly under) 2 metre x 2 metre bathroom which is L-shaped owing to a shower enclosure. There is also a toilet pan oval, and two radiator pipes going into the floor off the side of one of the walls. I plan to try and make a template out of old computer paper stuck together, and then transfer this to my piece of vinyl flooring, which is exactly 2 metres x 2 metres.

Has anyone else here laid vinyl flooring, and do they have any hints or websites they can recommend? I haven't been able to get much info about how to go about this. I have the Stanley knife at the ready, though.

someone

Reply to
someone

i'd use cardboard from cardboard boxes not paper to make a template out of

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

Taking out the toilet pan and putting it back on top of the vinyl will be much better than cutting around it and should make templating much easier.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Do you have the old floor covering to use as a template?

I have laid vinyl before, in my own homes with reasonable results. Its not as easy as you might think. I wouldn't do it for a paying customer.

Cut the vinyl 1/2" oversize to your template & adjust it once down. Buy a new pack of blades for the Stanley knife. In a bathroom, silicone will cover any slight errors at the edges.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

And it will stretch / settle, so cut oversize and dont try for a perfect fit until it has been in place for a week

Anna

-- Anna Kettle Lime plaster repair and conservation Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc Tel:    (+44)  01359 230642 Mob:  (+44)  07976 649862 Please look at my website for examples of my work at:

Anna Kettle

Vinyl is particularly unforgiving when cut at the edges. As another said, remove the toilet. I would remove skirting boards, lay and refit over the top. I have just dome mine (similar size). Removed basin pedestal, toilet, bath panel and skirting. Laid hardboard sheets first on top of floorboards (after leaving to acclimatise on landing) then vinyl. Still buggered it up around door. Not like carpet, one mis-cut and you've had it :o( . Many fitters (like another poster) refuse to lay vinyl as one miscut and they have to bear the cost of replacement. Good luck!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I appreciate all your comments which gave me some pause for thought.

The person in the shop that sold me the vinyl also said to remove the toilet pan, but really that would not be possible for someone with my limited tools and plumbing skills. However I'll investigate the possibility of using cardboard instead of paper for the template as well as letting it settle for a week. I can't use the old covering as these are rubber tiles glued to the floor. Sounds like silicon mastic will be my friend.

Thanks again for your advice, I'm very grateful.

someone

Reply to
someone

If your WC pan is screwed to the floor and there is any flexibility in the waste connection, there is a chance that you just need to undo two (or four) screws, slide the vinyl underneath, rescrew. I promise you that would be easier than getting the 'oval' cut exactly right.

Of course if the pan is stuck down and/or there is no flexibility, you might be right. :-(

Reply to
Rod