Laying T&G Floorboards

I am replacing all the old t&g floorboards in my living room with new stuff. The old floorboards hae the t&g central to the board but the new baords have the t&g offset. Do I assume that the thicker part of the board is the top or doesn't it matter which is the top and which is the bottom.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Kevin,

As you surmised, the thicker part goes to the top - by the way, if it's possible, leave the boards in the room (or even a spare room) for a few weeks before laying so that they become 'acclimatised' to the ambient temperature to get the right moisture content - it make the boards less susceptible to shrinkage after laying.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

I am glad that you mentioned that last bit as I am ordering the material in the next week or so but wont fit them until the new year so I will lay them out in the living room rather than leave them in in the garage. I had better rig up the ch radiator which is removed at the moment to give them a bit of heat and a drying atmosphere as well.

Kevin

Reply to
Kev