laying Skirting

hi All, I'm new to this area of expertise and wondered if there are any opinions or "best practice" in relation to laying skirting board in a new house. The base material is concrete bricks which have been wet wall pastered (liberal covering) and there are no "timber plugs" in the walls either for this purpose. I should also point out that the walls are fully finished with plasterwork and that timber flooring has already been laid (with the relevant gap to the plaster). If the skirting was added using nails, then "Brads" simply wouldn't do as steel nails would be a minimum needed to penetrate the plaster. Perhaps another option would be someting like "liquid nails", but is this a good idea especially if there might be the requirement in the future to temporarily remove them for installation of say speaker cables. What are my options?.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated & thankx in advance

Reply to
Seamus Mc Loughlin

I am fixing a lot of skirting and I am screwing it to the wall.

If you are using timber skirting the interal corners should be scribed. If MDF then corners can be mitred.

mark

Reply to
mark

Run the cable and then Gripfil. Not the end of the world if you don't use it.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

A friend of mine varnished rather than painted his skirting boards and screwed them to the wall using brass screws and cup-washers (making a decorative feature of them, while making it very easy to remove for phone wiring, etc.)

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker