Laying Laminate Flooring

I have a solid floor with the old type hard composition Marley tiles on top. Is it necessary to put a polythene damp proofing membrane down before laying insulation material & then the planks etc. ?

Thanks for any help

Reply to
jonjo

One question... Did you have carpet down on this floor?

Reply to
George

I would! Have a look on the many DIY sites or through the Wickes or B&Q leaflets.

Reply to
Rob Farrell

Yes carpet is down at present

Reply to
jonjo

It's probably not strictly necessary, but it won't do any harm - and will stop any condensation from getting to the laminate. You can get underlay which has a damp-proof membrane and a thin layer of foam combined, and is easier to use than the separate stuff.

Reply to
Roger Mills

This stuff would probably be better as I think you have to put dpm up wall under skirting and I don't really want to be arsed with removing skirting etc.

Reply to
jonjo

You won't get a decent job *unless* you remove the skirting. When you put the skirting back, it covers the expansion gap - otherwise you have to fit 'orrible quadrant which SHOUTS retro-fit!

Reply to
Roger Mills

I used cheap plastic sheeting for mine. it was about £3 for 5mx3m sheet in b+q. Was stored over with the blue tarps in the building section not in the flooring bit.

Reply to
Tom Woods