Laying floor tiles on MDF boarding?

We had a flood a couple of weeks ago (leaking shower)

Didnt think there was a problem with the laminate flooring in the utility room - directly below where the shower was, but when the assessors came round they ripped it up to view it!

Anyway - the flooring wa laid on 22mm MDF board, which whilst it looks a bit grubby, doesnt seem to have suffered. It is completely dry and no warping or anything.

having gone off laminat, have now decided to tile the area instead.

I appreciate the potential problem with expansion, but the tiling shop I asked it said it wouldnt be a problem and said I just needed to use a special adhesive that would allow for movement.

OK, but it got me thinking.... does that mean the tiles are not really bonding to the boards primed with UPVA?

Anyone know?

Ta

Reply to
guv

tuffty26

The tiles will bond to the PVA primed MDF fine, all a flexible adhesive means is that the adhesive has a certain amount of elasticity when set, allowing it to take up small movements without cracking. Always important to use flexible tile adhesive when tiling over wood/ply/mdf.

Reply to
Grunff

I really wouldn't, unless you can get flexible tiles. Corks! Flexible tiles, wow! Dows a ceramic tile flex?

Reply to
Chris Bacon