Laying carpet over quarry tiles

I recently had a carpet fitter lay a carpet. I'd previously had an estimator round who'd sized everything up and examined the existing floor surface, and left with no comment.

However, when the fitter pitched up to do the job, his jaw dropped when he saw that much of the ground floor was covered in old quarry tiles. He told me that it was basically impossible to carpet over them as they are too hard to nail down binder bars or use tacks, and you can't use gripfill etc to glue the binder bar down as it won't stick properly.

(The tiles concerned were in really crap condition; and even if I'd ripped them up - a very large undertaking - I'd have been left with having to lay a new screed to bring the floor up to the right level)

The guy dissapeared off out of my earshot to make a heated phone call to the estimator, and returned to say that he'd do the job using spray adhesive, which he did. He basically glued down the underlay, then glued the carpet to the underlay, all using this odd stringy spray stuff.

The result looked fine I have to say, but it seems a very odd way of doing the job. It was only cheap carpet, and I am selling the property anyway, so in this case I'm not overly bothered about the long-term; however I'd still like to know - was this an appropriate way to do the job?

David

Reply to
Lobster

In this case yes - a bodge-up for a quick sale.

I doubt it will be satisfactory in the long term

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Well, have to admit that I'd have looked into this further before allowing the guy to proceed had this been my own living room, yes... but what I'm getting at, is there a better or 'proper' method of laying carpet over such a floor surface, short of pulling up the tiles?

David

Reply to
Lobster

The fitter could have drilled & plugged the gripper into the floor

mj

Reply to
Mj

And made sure the slots in all the screws line up ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It is a way of doing the job, many commercial carpets are glued down rather than streached and fitted onto gripper strips etc. Depends on the carpet though, proper carpet really does need to be stretched.

The fitter is correct that he couldn't nail the strips down but saying he couldn't glue 'em, I have my doubts with the grip fill things that are about now. I do see a couple of snags with glueing the strips that though both of which consume time and time is expensive stuff.

The first is unless he had strip in the van without fixing nails he'd have to remove them before glueing the strip down. The second is waiting for the glue to set sufficiently well for the carpet to be stretched and fitted without pulling the strips up.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Some years ago (perhaps 20) I had a carpet fitted - the day before he fitted the carpet the fitter came to glue the grippers down for this very reason. Seemed to be standard procedure when grippers were required.

Reply to
Peter Johnson