Laying cable in screed floor

I'm having an extension built (single story bedroom at side) The builders have finished the base concrete and will soon lay 2" plastic insulation and 4" screed on top. A 'knowledgeable friend' has just pointed out that now would be a good time to lay an armoured cable from my mains supply to the garage - under the insulation and/or screed and out through the front garden as deep as I can get it.

Is this a good idea / legal ?

If so, does it need any protection as well as the armouring under the screed? How would I fix it to the floor?

TIA Ken

Reply to
Ken

In article , Ken writes

If you can why not install a cable duct so that other services can be added in as and when required?...

Reply to
tony sayer

Yes, and IIRC yes.

Mmm. Not sure, but I would hazard a guess that no, it needs no protection, but I would personally slip some of that foam insulation over it to avoid stress on it.

In practice, you can nail straps to the concrete I would say.

Under the ground, you are supposed to go down a foot or three. I used a mini digger for a similar escapade once.

Makes it a lot easier. Get it well below digging depth anyway, and lay a ribbon of that 'caution/hazard' tape over it. Best to lay it in a shingle bed too, but not mandatory. See regs.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes. Me, I'd go for 3" pipe laid under the lawn, with wide swept bends. In case you want later to run heating/water/sewerage/... out to the garage in the future.

Reply to
Ian Stirling