Laying Bamboo Flooring

My wife wants to use bambo for the flooring in the first floor bathroom. I have read that it should be fitted on top of 18mm plywood. What I'm wondering is can I lay it straight on the joists. It's tonge and groove on 4 sides and in 180 x 15cm ish lengths and is 15mm thick. My joists are at about 40cm centres I think. The advantage of not using a plywood subfoor are 1) cost (minimal) 2) floor height (will remain the same as adjoining hall and 3) Skirting (can be left in situ). Any advice appreciated. Cheers Paul

Reply to
p.lavers

Firstly make sure the flooring is suitable for such a wet environment

is it 180cm long by 15cm wide by ??? thick if 15-18mm thk you will ned to stager the end joints so they are not in one line as the end joints will not be directly on a joist.

Use a high spec waterproof wood glue and be generous with it

provides you do not have mega heavy people you should be ok belt and braces would say add additional joists so end joints sit on a joist or lay a 6mm plywood floor and glue flooring to it thus forming a composite floor.

If you are going to sit your bath on this flooring then you really need the bath feet to be resting over a joist or nowhere near an end joint v

Reply to
vince