Lawn With Mushrooms

Can anyone help? I have had a new lawn laid about two months ago. Last week we woke to find the lawn covered in mushrooms. Needlessly to say, as we're plucking them, more are sprouting. Is there any chemical we can put down to kill these and leave the lawn alone?

Regards

Reply to
SantaUK

I wish we had mushrooms growing in our grass. Eat them!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Generally there are fragments of wood in the compost used to make turf. This rots and attached spores to grow producing mushrooms/toadstools.

The only real solution is to dig the areas where the toadstools are growing and relace it with a new piece of turf. Personally I'd sterilise the ground with an armillatox solution before replacing the affected turf.

they should dissapear by themselves after a few years...pick the mushrooms and dispose of them to prevent them spreading spores and certainly don't go over them with a mower!

It is possible that someone has developed a fungicide that you can spray directly on the lawn but I'm not aware of one.

Probably worth identifying the mushrooms/toadstools in a book/on the web to check whether they are poisonous or not.

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

If they're magic mushrooms just wait for the local kids to find out and they'll soon be round to take care of them for you :-)

alternatively I've had very good results with one of the major lawn feed /moss killing treatments on our grass, (the name of which escapes me) but I'm unsure of whether they kill mushrooms as well, my main problem now is the gaping brown areas since all our moss has died off.

cheers

David

Reply to
David

If you ate the mushrooms I've seen in my grass then you may well be in for an exciting trip.

cheers

David

Reply to
David

Well, check what they are first, then maybe eat them...

Reply to
Grunff

In article , sPoNiX writes

My guess is that the turf supplier used spent mushroom compost to fertilise the soil before seeding. I used this before I laid turf & got the occasional 'shroom popping through. I've picked & dumped any that came through and the activity has died out.

In my experience yes.

Armillatox was fine for this as it was listed as a lawn mosskiller, but as I said now banned. Could another lawn mosskiller do the same job?

Reply to
fred

"David" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de:

l, my main

I stocked them with grass seed and turned them int bird feeders

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Why? Excellent soil improvers, are toadstools.

And you can eat more of them than you think. So far this year Morels (utterly dleicious) and St georges mushroomns. (Ok but dull when cooked)

Looking forwad to usual crop of Ink caps later in the year, and maybe the odd horse mushroom....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
[48 lines snipped]

I'd concur with that. We ate a small slice of the 2kg one someone gave us, then threw the rest away. Even fried in garlic butter, it wasn't the least interesting.

Reply to
Huge

Wow, that's odd. I've eaten several, and while I agree that raw they are not in any way interesting, fried in butter they are just delish.

Reply to
Grunff

That was our experience but some people love them.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Reply to
Grunff

Your post hadn't come up when I said that :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'm wondering whether Mary and Huge had unripe/over-ripe ones. IME They have quite a narrow window when they are really nice. The skin and the inside should be pure white, with a firm, dense sponge texture.

Reply to
Grunff

Yep, that's what it was like. Except it didn't taste of anything.

Reply to
Huge

Anyone else having horrible dyslexic problems and word association nightmares at this point ?

Reply to
John Laird

The ones I had were.

I even tried drying slices, thinking that they might be better used in stews and the like.

They weren't.

I was disappointed because I love different kinds of fungi and they have an excellent reputation. I'm not one to be put off by the unfamiliar. I've even eaten young stinkhorns and they were good. Spouse allows me to be his tester taster!

Our garden sometimes grows oyster mushrooms and wood blewits, we always eat them. There are other, less culinary types which we don't eat but to date we've seen nothing which would make us ill.

We have reliable identification sources to hand :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Apparently it doesn't. Best thing is to fry up some bacon in butter and garlicm na tip slices in after a few minutes. They then absorb the buttery bacony garlicky flavour and are almost edible.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You have lost me here, if 95% are one thing, and roughly the same amount are another, that = 190%!

...or am I miss-reading it!?!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks